How to lube the hinges on your Windshield Wipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a good one. I was cleaning the glass on my car and I noticed some rust on the hinge on my WW--you know the one the bends when you prop them out of the way to get to the bottom of the windshield. I was thinking something either in a spray can like white lithium or that penetrates. But it also has to be sticky and stay there when the car is getting pelted with water at 70 MPH.

For now I used a tupe of regular chassis grease..that I got over a year ago at some Trak Auto. I tried to push it into the joints with my finger as best as possible. It's really sticky. After I was done, strands had formed in the 60 degree weather as if hair had becoem stuck to the grease.

Going to be tough to stop washout on that. Maybe consider a marine type water resistant grease. Either that or if it would maybe stick you could try CorrosionX or something.

Your other choices are like a bar oil or an open gear lube. They are REALLY sticky, but then again might wash out easily

Take the wiper arms completely off, remove the rubber blades, and spray it with Amsoil Metal Protectant. Wipe any excess, replace rubber blades, and wiper arm. This wil keep your glass free of oil, which will streak the glass terribly.

You may have to do this once a year to keep rust at bay.

Some time ago I bought this stick of grease that looks a lot like a crayon. Just rub it on anything you want lubricated. I use it for door striker plates and for house door hinges. It sounds like this product is what you're looking for.

The stuff Kestas is referring to is 'Door Ease'. My Dad had a stick of it in his toolbox forever, to use on car doors and latches and such. Since my Dad is not exactly mechanically inclined, it was pretty much the ONLY thing in his toolbox! Regardless, years later I went looking for the stuff and found it at a hardware store. It is basically super-thick grease, might have wax in it as well. Rub a little on car door hinges to quiet the squeak. In normal household duty one stick will last several lifetimes.

In a related vein, why is it that GM door hinges seem to squeak more than others? My '82 Toyota never squeaked as badly as my '91 Olds and '98 Chevy 3500 do. GM used the same hinge design FOREVER; have they finally changed it on their newer models?

c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back