The correct way to lube U-joints??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
is valvoline synth grease OK for u-joints?

Absolutely! It's what I use when I repack the wheel bearings in my Nissan truck. I'm sure if it will stand up to the heat and friction that a wheel bearing can produce, u-joints will be no problem.

My owner's manual calls for lithium for the spiders (rolling friction) in my drive shaft and moly for the splined and cardan joints (sliding). Is there a single synthetic replacement for these two types of grease?

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
My owner's manual calls for lithium for the spiders (rolling friction) in my drive shaft and moly for the splined and cardan joints (sliding). Is there a single synthetic replacement for these two types of grease?

Good question...any answer?

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
The factory sealed u-joints on my 98 GMC failed at 40000 miles. OEM joints are 80 bucks a piece. So I installed Dana Spicer greasable U-joints for 14 bucks a piece, and have had no problem since.

No offence but imo general motors has nice engine compartments but the lowest quality parts around. I had a 79 F150 pickup with sealed u joints go for 300,000 miles it could be luck though It was a real good pickup ,not like the crap being sold now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back