Who makes the best ATF4 fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here I can get castrol, Valvoline, the house brands(Advance/O Reilly), or Supertech.

The car is a neon with about 150k on it.

I would say Amsoil. I think Redline and Mobil 1 are rated ATF4? Have not tried Redline but would assume it would be in the ballpark along with Mobil 1.

If you want the best you would want a full syn fluid.

Let me rephrase, the best easily available ATF4. Im talking major brands or easily available on a shelf brand.

Petro-Canada ATF+4®

Petro-Canada ATF+4® is an automatic transmission fluid specially formulated to meet the needs of Chrysler automatic transmissions. This highly shear-stable fluid delivers superior shift performance and wear protection in Chysler transmissions for which it was designed. Meets Chrysler MS-9602 specifications. Suitable for top-up or complete fluid changes. It may also be used where earlier Chrysler fluids, such as Chrysler ATF+3® were recommended.

Petro-Canada ATF+4® contributes to the overall performance of the transmission by delivering optimized shift efficiency, exceptional oxidation and shear stability and extended drain intervals over ATF+3® fluids.

Viscosity

cSt @ 40°C 33.24
cSt @ 100°C 7.51
SUS @ 40°F 167
SUS @ 100°F 51

Viscosity Index 204
Brookfield Viscosity, cP @ -29°C 2,050
cP @ -40°C 8,380

Pour Point °C/°F -51/-60
Flash Point °C/°F 198/388
Colour Red

This is a fully approved product.

Petro-Canada Beyond Today's Standards
Petro-Canada is a Suncor Energy Business

Use any of the name brand ATFs. I don't have any faith in the quality control of store brand or generics.

I have noticed slightly different shifts between two store brands of ATF+4. In my 46RE, Supertech did not downshift as smoothly as Coastal.

The Coastal product was also a prettier color, for what it's worth.

Well it was 30 cents per quart difference at Wal Mart between ST and Valvoline, so I went with the Valvoline.

Now it actually moves. My friends car wouldnt even move or engage the gears the filter was so tightly plugged. Now its quiet and shifting again. I plan on doing it again in 1000 miles when we change the oil to get more of the old fluid out.

I think you made a good choice with the Valvoline.

I have also heard that all ATF4 fluids are very good because of the strict specification. For 30 cents a quart difference I also would have chosen Valvoline.

I hope you mean Valvoline ATF+4 (in the blue container) and not Maxlife ATF. I like Maxlife but not for cars that call for ATF+4.

Personally, I use the AAP house brand ATF+4. It's cheap enough, and works fine. For the most part, ATF+4 is the same regardless of manufacturer, due to Chrysler's very tight specs.

Who is the OEM supplier for chrysler. I think they switched companys recently but who was the OEM supplier for ATF+4 back two or three years ago when my truck was made. Im going to be changing fluid pretty soon and just want to stick with the same brand fluid that came with my vehicle.

By 150k, does it make a difference?

I prefer Valvoline ATF+4 or Redline C+

But, ANY ATF+4 is good enough. If you're flushing and already have 150k, I'd lean toward a store brand budget ATF+4.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
I have noticed slightly different shifts between two store brands of ATF+4. In my 46RE, Supertech did not downshift as smoothly as Coastal.

The Coastal product was also a prettier color, for what it's worth.

Old thread, but needed to read up on ATF+4 options... this made me literally LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back