What is the Best Lubricant for Hinge Pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For oils I like Break Free CLP or Shooters Choice FP-10. If you need to use a grease I have had good luck with Shooter's Choice All Weather High-Tech Gun Grease.

NEVER depend on an oil for lubricating the hinge pin area of a break-action shotgun. There are many good choices of grease out there...my favorite being Ponsness-Warren's STOS (slicker than owl sh..). If you are looking for economy, a container of white lithium grease or wheel bearing grease will last a really long time and do a good job for little money. Most importantly, clean it off thoroughly and re-apply after EVERY day's use.

My 30-year-old Perazzi MX-8 now has in excess of 532,000 rounds fired through it and shows no wear or galling in the hinge area and locks up tight. STOS has been used for most of this time.

003-1.jpg

Last edited:
I use Weapon Shield on everything as it contains large amounts of EP additive to protect such areas. I use it on hinge guns I have with no problems. They also make a lite grease if you want that.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
My 30-year-old Perazzi MX-8 now has in excess of 532,000 rounds fired through it and shows no wear or galling in the hinge area and locks up tight.

Wow! That's 2 boxes of shells every single day for 30 years. 1500 rounds every single month.

i would use the shooters choice grease you ucan find it in most gun stores it seams too stay put and it does not run

Originally Posted By: sj586
My 30-year-old Perazzi MX-8 now has in excess of 532,000 rounds fired through it and shows no wear or galling in the hinge area and locks up tight.

Wow! That's 2 boxes of shells every single day for 30 years. 1500 rounds every single month.

He didn't say that he shot every round himself. It's a family thing.

I've always used STOS or Shooter's Choice grease on my Brownings.

BTW, that is a sweet Perazzi. I love the case-hardened receiver on the older MX8's.

Originally Posted By: sj586

Typical registered trapshoot is 300 targets in a day or 400 in a weekend. Plenty of them run Wednesday through Sunday and run 1200-1500 targets. Living in the Southeast I have no trouble shooting year round. The shooting is fun...the shell reloading gets to be a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back