"Touchy" Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pad material is extremely important to 'grab' power and feel.
Everybody uses different vacuum or other power brake booster systems.
The actual pedal configuration and possible firewall flexing will contribute.
Brake master cylinders can be sized differently, which will affect fluid flow.

Rear drum brakes have a servo mechanism that jams the shoes outward upon initial application. If they get too grabby things spiral out of control. I think lots of peoples' rear shoes are glazed and old and they just don't know it. Though I'm a rookie at drum brakes I've done a few with advances' cheapo silver pads, new springs, a good cleanout, and a dab of antisieze on the appropriate places, and an adjust, and they always feel awesome afterwards.

I've had versions of the same car with and without ABS and the ABS (Delco VI?) adds a little mush to the pedal feel. I guess I'm okay with it.

I'm a 200 lb fattie and the best pedal feel I like is when I slide forward in my seat due to the braking forces, and that helps me in emergency stops without getting carried away. If the brakes were too good they'd make me apply too much pedal pressure.

I'm not sure which case of "touchy" brakes we're discussing here. If the brakes have really good initial bite, but you can still modulate the brake force easily, then that's fine, but if you have that strong initial bite that can't be easily modulated, then I don't see anything good about it.
A good indicator is to watch your passengers, if their heads are always thrown forward every time you apply brakes, even if you want to be gentle, then these brakes can't be modulated easily and this is not good at all. To me a linear brake feel is best. It's all nice and dandy when you live in CA to have "touchy" brakes, but try that during winter storm in Ontario and you'll end up in the ditch.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You want a lousy feel?
Drive a truck or car with Hydroboost brakes.

Is that the hydraulic brake booster system GM puts on some trucks? Our Suburban has those and I've got to agree with you on that...

On an 08 BMW 330xi, the brakes are most touchy when cold. I'm with Critic in that I really do appreciate them- very linear feel, plenty of reserve.

On the other hand, an XV20 Camry: worse brakes on the planet! At least of any car I've ever driven. The quicker you push the pedal, the MORE RESISTANCE it puts up, very weak vacuum assist, ABS that activates at <10MPH and doesn't stop and completely non-linear feel. Yeah, it's bumped a few cars in it's life. I can't stress how terrible the brakes on that car are. They also fade and warp at the drop of a dime while making a groaning noise. Total POS brake system.

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi
On an 08 BMW 330xi, the brakes are most touchy when cold. I'm with Critic in that I really do appreciate them- very linear feel, plenty of reserve.

On the other hand, an XV20 Camry: worse brakes on the planet! At least of any car I've ever driven. The quicker you push the pedal, the MORE RESISTANCE it puts up, very weak vacuum assist, ABS that activates at div>

Shop around for some grabby premium brake pads. It will help a lot.

Wow, same problem i have. Its so bad sometimes the rear tires will lock up when stopping in the rain if im not careful.

every small car I've ever worked on with grabby rear drum brakes has had the shoes reversed!

This causes exactly the symptoms described.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Many new cars have ridiculous pedal feel and strangely boosted brakes.

My luxo 4 door sedan can stop within a foot or two of the aforementioned BMW 135i and does it with remarkably good pedal feel and a great initial bite. 4 piston brembos at all 4 corners.

The penalty is DUST. Lots of it.
Brembo is the secret!!!

Are you sure the cars with 'touchy' brakes don't have 'active brake assist'.

IIRC 'active brake assist' was developed because M-B found that many of it's drivers who got into accidents didn't fully depress the brake pedal to get maximum deceleration, even when they knew they were about to wreck. Thus a microprocessor determines (based on how quickly one jabs the brake pedal and how far it is depressed) whether a driver is making a 'panic stop'. If so, it amplifies the pressure to compensate.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My luxo 4 door sedan can stop within a foot or two of the aforementioned BMW 135i and does it with remarkably good pedal feel and a great initial bite. 4 piston brembos at all 4 corners. The penalty is DUST. Lots of it.
Brembo is the secret!!!

Is the aforementioned "luxo 4 door sedan" an Acura? I seem to recall my dad's 2004 TL having 4-piston Brembo calipers and the braking performance/feel was great.

My Camry also has very "touchy" brakes. It may have active brake assist also, because you only have to use your toes, it seems, to get good brakes. On either of my other cars, you have to use your foot on it.

I like them. It just takes getting used to. My mother-in-law's former 2004 Acura TL had very touchy brakes, but you got used to it after about 5 seconds of driving. I prefer them to mush, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My Camry also has very "touchy" brakes. It may have active brake assist also, because you only have to use your toes, it seems, to get good brakes. On either of my other cars, you have to use your foot on it.

I like them. It just takes getting used to. My mother-in-law's former 2004 Acura TL had very touchy brakes, but you got used to it after about 5 seconds of driving. I prefer them to mush, that's for sure.

If the brakes on your Camry feel anything like the 09 SE V6 I drove, then they are not touchy at all compared to the Altima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back