Trolling - What Gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
So as most of you know I took a break from this board for a while and before I left there was only the occasional troll once in a blue moon.

Today there seems to be one every second day, and if not there seems to be someone accusing someone else of it.

What gives?

Hi Steve,

Ockham's razor suggests that your return has given rise to trolls. You may very possibly be troll bait.

Cheers,
-J

48.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Who is trolling? Maybe I do not notice.

Just look and see why the thread on THE BOSS 302 Is Back was locked recently in the Automotive General Topic section...You will have your answer.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I use to let it bother me then I discovered how to put three people on my ignore list and my problem has been solved.
It would be nice though if the posts didn't show up at all instead of "This Users Posts are hidden" or something to that effect.

I was using it for Mori back when he first started getting under my skin and I realized what his deal was. Kinda miss him now.
frown.gif

I agree with Stevie C 100%.

I lurked here for over a year before deciding to become an active member. When I was lurking the forums were attractive due to the intelligent, data-based arguments. I have noticed in the past year that the Subjects and Threads have steadily declined in quality. Look back at threads from 2007 or later, the difference is obvious.

BITOG is a great forum, don't get me wrong. I have seen a change in the past few years, that's all.

I'm not sure why, or how. Maybe it is the result of the growth of the forum. After all, it can't only attract reasonable, intelligent individuals, capable of maintaining a conversation without bias.

IMHO This forum should be for discussing oil, vehicles, and related matters. The personal pettiness should be reserved for one's Facebook, MySpace, etc.

Maybe we need a better new-member screening policy along with a 0 trolling tolerance spec that gets you banned immediately if you are found trolling so we can keep it professional?

toomany -- i only read the last post on this thread(yours). the best post that i've seen in a couple of months.spot on.
there are some that have several hundred to thousands of posts, and have been members for a few monthe to +/- a couple of years. i don't understand how one can spend so much time on a forum, and post things that do not interest intelligent people.petty things that are part of everyday life compel people to post,and whine about how said things are a catastrophe.i got a flat, my battery died, a squirrel ran in front of me -- catrastrophic events to some. because these things are so inane and petty in nature -- it must be that these people just want someone to talk to.to each his own.
what works for me is to use "ignore".it's amazing how threads (the odd ones that i view) become uncluttered.take care.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Maybe we need a better new-member screening policy along with a 0 trolling tolerance spec that gets you banned immediately if you are found trolling so we can keep it professional?

The only problem with that is that "trolling" is inherently subjective. Sometimes simple disagreement is seen as inflammatory.

If we want the quality of discussions on BITOG to improve, we have to reach for that higher standard ourselves.

Internet trolls are simply this............people with WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much time on their hands! They should REALLY consider getting from behind the keyboard,taking a journey to the great outdoors (this mystery world that they no nothing about that exists on the other side of their front door),and making some real life human friends :^P

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Whatever you do, don't feed the trolls Beneful beef stew.

That thread was hysterical.

Meh, like Johnny says, the ignore list. It works wonders.

Want to really experience trolling? Try noria. Dare to question synlube. Or ask for data to back up claims that dino oil causes sludge. Or say the Yugo is a POS.....

You'll appreciate this place all the more.

Last edited:
I've been lurking for quite a few years now but I rarely post (except for this week 'cause I'm home bored). Why? 'Cause I know how to search. What I've noticed over the past few years has been a significant increase in new people asking stuff that's been answered over and over and over again. It also seems that knowledgeable info has either decreased or is being drown out and that sages have either left (Terry) or are posting less 'cause they're tired of answering the same stuff. Now, we all have our share of dumb posts and I'm no exception but it's very clear that noobs are not bothering to search and it clutters the board. That's my gripe anyway. Sorry for venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back