Joint Pain In My Miniature Schnauzers

Every once in a blue moon, my 13 year old schnauzers get a little gimpy in their hind quarters. In a few days, they get over it.
I'm looking at some kind of joint supplement.

What have you found that helps?

I have a 9-yo golden retreiver with osteoarthritis and a small bone chip in his left elbow. It would cost $5000.00 to remove the chip with no guarantee that the chip was the cause of his gimpiness rather than the arthritis. We give him Cosequin daily. It has worked great to extend the time between gimpy periods. When he does have gimpiness I'll give him aspirin for a day or two. If it goes beyond that I give him Deramaxx.

I don't know about dogs, but my joint and muscle pain went down significantly when I switched to a carnivore diet (nothing that doesn't come from an animal). Many feel that ruminator meat is less inflammatory because of multiple stomachs. You could try putting the dog on a raw or cooked all beef diet. It's an elimination diet, and if there's an improvement over a few weeks, you could slowly add back in other meat or vegetables to see if they trigger pain.

The popular supplement for dogs for joint support include turmeric, collagen, fish oil, glucosamine and chondroitin. My vet says no Tylenol or Ibuprofen but had us give a dose of 2 baby aspirin to our corgi on one occasion but didn't recommend it long term.

Last edited:
Our Schnauzers are 20 and 30 lbs. How much aspirin for now? I just ordered some Cosequin from Chewy.com

I feel your pain.
Great dog that you have, I have no answers. We have a Schoodle most incredible dog we ever have. Schnauzer's are so intelligent as well as poodles.
Not sure if this made a difference but we always put Lactose Free Milk in his food bowl every morning after he ate his breakfast. Wow he loved it, he just stands there forever and wait for it to get poured in his bowl after he eats.

14 years old now, totally blind for the last two years, he still is an amazing dog, does everything a regular dog does, except he cant see, walks around the community and takes his cues from the leash on which way, its TRULY amazing how fluid he does it. The leash is like a joy stick a pilot uses on an airplane.
He barks at people when he picks up their scent. *LOL* Even from across the street.
Knows his way around the house and puts himself to bed. Still loves tug of war with a rope or empty water bottle.

Sad part is, we have to deal with the fact that he will not be with us next year. His doctor says he has about 6 months to 1 year of life left in him. Progressive heart Valve Disease. Right now he takes a miracle FDA approved heart drug two times a day and is 100% great but doctor says at some point dog the drug will not be effective. The drug is specifically for his condition and improves heart function to make up for the failing valves.

He is still 100% and we would never let him suffer, doctor is aware and assures us he is still 100% ok.

Sorry for going off subject except that I do wonder, if dog owners knew they could feed Lactose Free Milk if it would help in later years. I dont know the answer, except for all his other issues, he is amazingly good health bone wise.

Good luck, it's important to do what we can and make sure they are not suffering.

(he loves laying in my wife's arms at night while we watch TV for a little while. Mine not so much *L*)
IMG_5409.JPG

You should call your vet. We were on vacation at the time the vet told us to give aspirin so yours may not agree.
I'm just giving the aspirin till I get the Cosequin. Says 10-40 mg/kg. I went with the 20 kg/kg to start with.

I give mine Cosequin on advice from my vet. Sure did help him out a lot. From what I remember it takes a couple of weeks or so to really kick in

I'm just giving the aspirin till I get the Cosequin. Says 10-40 mg/kg. I went with the 20 kg/kg to start with.
Cosequin is a supplement. It will probably take a while for it to have any affect and it probably won't be super dramatic. Your dogs will likely benefit more in terms of pain relief your vet gives a prescription for a dog safe anti-inflammatory.

Im already cry... I mean somebodies cutting onions.

Glucosamine/ fish oils, and CBD in proper amounts helped our "best friends" have a better quality of life.

We also made all our own food, which I believe helped her get to 17.

Back