Mobil 1 10W30 5000mi '02 Volvo XC70 B5244T

Status
Not open for further replies.
201006155ked.jpg

Oil not more that 3 months old, light footed driver, 9mi commute. Lots of highway 70-80mph with kayaks on roof. 22mg ave with premium (93) gas. 155K mi on engine, Mahle (OEM) oil filter. PureOne air filter. Winter/spring driving.

Last edited:
Sure looks like Mobil is adding more Moly these days,report looks good air filters working try 8,000 next time.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Look at that high iron!! Should have used Accel 20w300!!
crackmeup2.gif
Great report.

I actually refilled with 0W40 for the 100F summer we're going to get. Hope it doesn't wear out my engine!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
TBN looks a little weak.

As UOAs are notoriously inaccurate, it would be interesting to see another labs report on this same oil.

Last edited:
I'm suprised that after 5k miles of easy driving, the TBN is ony 2.6...I know TBN drop isn't linear, but we've all seen conventional UOA's at this mileage with this much TBN, and more.

Makes you wonder what spending the extra $$$ for M1 gets you?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm suprised that after 5k miles of easy driving, the TBN is ony 2.6...I know TBN drop isn't linear, but we've all seen conventional UOA's at this mileage with this much TBN, and more.

This one shows double that. Are UOAs credible?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1931037&page=1

The M1 in that UOA is 0W-40 which has a much higher starting TBN than M1 10W-30. Also sump size greatly affects TBN retention and MB engines typically have large sumps...not sure about this Volvo engine.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: tig1

This one shows double that. Are UOAs credible?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1931037&page=1

The M1 in that UOA is 0W-40 which has a much higher starting TBN than M1 10W-30. Also sump size greatly affects TBN retention and MB engines typically have large sumps...not sure about this Volvo engine.

Engines and sump do make a differance. With my Focus(4.5 qts cap.) after 10K I had a TBN of nearly 4.0 with M1 5-30EP.

Maybe it's retention kicks in around 3,some oil's are known for that,goes down fast then holds.

this is just one UOA on this application.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
TBN looks a little weak.

Yeah, almost looks like a Castrol EDGE UOA...

Not really.

With 50% more miles in a true oil muncher, Audi 1.8T, Edge still had higher TBN.

Edge_7500mi_uoa.jpg

Uhh,I think I'd try some dino Valvoline,Havoline,Castrol,Pennzoil,well,you get the idea. 1/3 the cost and they are hydrocracked as well. Best buy would be Chevron Supreme or Shell 10W30 @ Fred's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back