GM: 30,000-mile Drain Intervals Are Achievable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny this was published in 2005 and now 5-years later we are nowhere close to this. Maybe when all modes of transportation are electric.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Funny this was published in 2005 and now 5-years later we are nowhere close to this. Maybe when all modes of transportation is electric.

Or, when GM can afford to worry about much more than its survival...

Those of us with old cars with weepy valve stem seals, adding 1 quart/2-5k, with superb filtration, maybe can do a 30K OCI!

biggest issue is likely the fact that 30K miles usually takes 24 months. That leaves a lot of opportunity for moisture and other contamination to accumulate.

...and Dex-cool will last for 150,000 miles.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
...and Dex-cool will last for 150,000 miles.
grin2.gif

That turned out not to be about the coolant, per se, but about pressure caps that they were using at the time which had some defect which, I think, pulled in air along with coolant from the overflow tank. Constant exposure to oxygen allowed the 150,000 mile coolant to acidify early, causing the damage.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Those of us with old cars with weepy valve stem seals, adding 1 quart/2-5k, with superb filtration, maybe can do a 30K OCI!

Exactly what I was thinking!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Doesn't Amsoil already claim you can go up to 35,000 miles using the proper oil and filter?

IMO, Amsoil, inc. is very cavalier with their claim making. Including, but certainly not limited to their extended OCI claims.

That said, I'm pretty sure that with my driving pattern of thousands of miles per month, 98%+ of them highway, I could probably get away with 30k OCIs using M1 EP 5w30 and a Bosch D+ filter.

I used to drive around 35,000 per year back in the days when everyone did 3,000 mile changes (my daily commute was 120+ miles round trip). I was averaging a change about once a month. I would sometimes go 5,000 miles and feel really bad about it. A 30,000 interval would have saved me a lot of time hanging around the cheapy lube places, which is what I did back then.

This is from a few years ago....

right-click, view image to see the whole thing (Windows, Linux), or ctrl-click (Mac)

ElfVAG_Oil_Approved_oil_change_inte.jpg

Not much of an article, although
Quote:
In every application, Spearot concluded, "the correlation between bench tests and performance is a critical requirement.

is as true when written as the last 4 decades of automotive messing around.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
GM: 30,000-mile Drain Intervals Are Achievable

They've been reading too much from the Synlube site.

1 year drain intervals are clearly doable, and have been doable. 30,000 miles in 1 year or two? We are clearly no where near 2 year drain intervals. In some cars it can be done under certain circumstances, but contaminants still wreck havoc on the oil and engine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Both the V6 and V8 have ten quart sumps

From what I have read,the V-8 has an 8 Quart Sump, not sure about the V-6.

30k is nothing, I had a car last Saturday that a girl went 23k since her last LOF. Now the entire right side of the engine was dumping sewage black oil on the accessories and frame but.......

Alittle off topic but, interesting but she (no names please) apparently went home and was crying to her dad that her car had some issues. Some of the issues include tires, leaking front struts, brakes, control arm bushings. And yesterday I found out that they posted an online complaint against our store (no names please). LMAO it just cracks me up.

/end rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back