So I was low 2 quarts of oil for a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though never drove more than a few miles each day. Engine running same (great) and am wondering should I do an engine flush, or just go with a better oil. And which one would be better after this for the engine? I use dino but may switch to semi-syn or full syn. Thoughts?

I was told they may have only put 5 quarts when it was changed last instead of the 7 it's supposed to have, and so when down 2 1/2 quarts (i.e. 1 less) is when the low oil light came on.

Whew!

Thanks in advance!

Top it off, fuddgettaboutit, and simply drive away!
19.gif

Last edited:
If that is a 7 qt system you should be fine.

Do what you normally do.

**If you really feel like you must do something run a good dino and some MMO.

Fill w/ dino and hope for the best. Perhaps a slightly lower mileage OCI on the next change. Maybe the short trips and the fact that Texas is not too terribly hot yet may help. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Do what you normally do.

That's what I'd do!

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Do what you normally do.

They didn't put enough oil in when it was changed, and you want him to run some MMO? LOL I'm not following that logic at all~

Drive it straight to the junkyard while she's still running under her own power!!! lol, just kidding. It should be fine.

Top off, change the oil yourself the next time so you know it's done right. Check oil level frequently.

Your car will probably never know the difference.

My neighbors have a Jimmy I change oil for, every 6 months they limp it in, oil barely registering on the stick. I change the oil, overfill it slightly and wait for another 6 months. Its always running fine when it comes in.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Though never drove more than a few miles each day. Engine running same (great) and am wondering should I do an engine flush, or just go with a better oil. And which one would be better after this for the engine? I use dino but may switch to semi-syn or full syn. Thoughts?

I was told they may have only put 5 quarts when it was changed last instead of the 7 it's supposed to have, and so when down 2 1/2 quarts (i.e. 1 less) is when the low oil light came on.

I'm not sure I'm following this. It's a 7 quart system that was run on 4.5 - 5 quarts... and the low oil pressure light came on? The oil pickup is in the bottom of the pan. You wouldn't see a pressure light if the oil were only a couple quarts low.

Or does this really have a "Low Oil" light, as in low oil level, as opposed to pressure? If so, I wouldn't give it a second thought. You're perfectly fine. The engine never even noticed. Even if the oil pressure light came on briefly, I wouldn't be concerned. And if the oil pressure was low more than briefly... any damage done is already done. Nothing to do about it now.

I once changed the oil on a 1992 Geo Metro and forgot to refill before starting it. Ran it 15-20 seconds or so before I realized. Didn't seem to make any difference. It used about a quart per 600 miles (mostly through the bad crank seal) before. And about a quart every 600 miles (mostly through the still bad crank seal) after. ;-)

-Steve

Last edited:
Which oil light?
Are you speaking of the oil pressure light, or an oil level light?
If an oil level indicator, you are worried for no reason.
A low oil presssure indication is another matter.
Still, you should be fine.
Your engine may only go 225K rather than 230K.

You will be fine. My friend's truck (2001 F150 4.6 with 200k miles) is always low on oil. Once I topped it off for him and it took 4.5 qts to bring it to full. (System capacity is 6.0 qts.)

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX

You got the oil changed and didn't check it after??.. and drove it for 2 weeks low 2 qts ??!!
Hand in your BITOG card and go on probation ...
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back