Advantage of Cartridge filter over Spin On Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every car I have owned has had a spin on filter.

Is there any advantages to the cartridge filters other than possibly easier changing.

Are they bigger?
Have better flow?
Better Media/construction?
Easier to install a magnet in?
Etc....

Uses less materials. Steel, rubber,etc. Easier to inspect for contaminates. No differance in filtering quality.

A little differant to change, but not a real problem.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Less expensive to manufacture?

Not sure about that. Seems cartridge filters are more expensive than spin-on filters. If they were less expensive to make, it seems like they would be much cheaper.

They look cheaper to make, but that hasn't filtered down to the consumer. The manufacturers may be ripping off the public,or somebody getting rich off a patent. They do use less steel. Nowhere to stick a magnet in mine. I think there are both well designed and poorly designed examples of each. The cartridge on my Ecotec is the easiest oil filter I ever changed. Leaving the ramps on the shelf is a huge factor.

I don't see any performance advantage of a cartridge filter that is not installed before the oil pump pick up, and as far as I know all current new designs are upstream of the pump. As far as I can tell most cartridge filters are the equivalent of an ecore installed dome up without an ADBV.

I think they are ripping off, because a common as dirt ecotec filter is scarcily different from a stripped down ecore, which tends to be cheaper anyway, and are made in 3rd world countries, yet run $8.88 at Walmart. The old 2.5 cartridge filter which was a classic stripped down and really not as common was usually priced slightly cheaper than a canister.

The biggest advantage to me, is the ability to pull the filter and inspect it at any time, without having to drop the oil. Another is the ability to inspect the filter pleats after use without having to cut it open and create that mess.

Honestly most of the advantages fall to the manufacturers and the planet. Easier, cheaper and less complicated to manufacture. And less waste and resources spent on building and disposal.

For the record, all the cartridge filter/housing designs I've seen DO have an ADBV. But I have only seen a few, are there really cartridge designs out there with no ADBV built into the design. That would be weak.

I would agree with less use/waste of raw materials and disposal of said.

The fact that they charge more for less, you gotta love it.

Perhaps when they become more common the price will come down. In the meantime, don't hold your breath.

I agree that the cartridge filter has its advantages, but none of them are performance related. I sure can't tell where there is a rubber flap or valve on the cartridge filter that block off the filter feed hole
21.gif
. I never really examined the cartridge filters oiling system. Maybe there's a ADBV separate from the filter. I personally think a dome down filter that can't drain back and is always full of oil, and the filter being as close to the pump as possible is the best but I don't have any proof.

When I had my Ecotecs, I loved how easy they were to change and how I was easily able to see the condition of the media. Also, I didn't have to worry about the construction of the can with fiber end caps, a silicone ADV valve or poorly constructed bypass valve.

I like the ecotec cartridge setup. It has its advantages. I just don't think it has any performance advantage over a canister and is somewhat overpriced. In the end it doesn't seem to effect engine wear or start up noise.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Less expensive to manufacture?

Not sure about that. Seems cartridge filters are more expensive than spin-on filters. If they were less expensive to make, it seems like they would be much cheaper.

How can these cartridge filters are more expensive to make than spin-on filters ? But they cost more to consumers than a good spin-on filter such as P1. Mann, Mahle cartridge filters for '00 E430 are about $12-14 online and more than $20 at dealer.

These photos are copied from Quattro Pete's post, cartridge filter for '00 E430 is the same construction, the only difference is size.

P1010764.jpg

mahle_oil_filter.jpg

to me it is more oil to be drain out of the filter and less into the landfill, and less metal to waste. Now you have the excuse that you can throw your used filter into the trash because they are already drained per the municipal required.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

These photos are copied from Quattro Pete's post, cartridge filter for '00 E430 is the same construction, the only difference is size.

These photos are of the filters for my 530i and they actually only cost about $5-$6 online, so less than a spin-on type M1 filter for example. So in fact yes, they are cheaper to make and cost less to the consumer. Of course some shops will put a huge markup on them, but that's another story.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason your E430 filters are more expensive is because they use fleece media as opposed to regular paper media like in my 530i. The paper version of your filter costs about $6-7 online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back