5w20 in place of 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my in-law's car 2000 Nissan Sentra with about 45,000 miles on it. The car calls for 5w30, but since I have a bunch of PP and Synpower 5w20. I was thinking about putting it in this car. This car see about 1,200 miles a year with short trips. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Should be fine, assuming the car is driven mildly.

No high RPM rev, it hardly see the highway, and use no oil.

My '00 E430 calls for M1 0W40, it has Synpower 5w20 because it's trips are mostly less than 15 mi. The engine is quieter with thinner oils.

I wouldn't do it. You'll notice that Nissan does not recommend 5W-20 oils in any of their cars and they must have a reason for that.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
One of my in-law's car 2000 Nissan Sentra with about 45,000 miles on it. The car calls for 5w30, but since I have a bunch of PP and Synpower 5w20. I was thinking about putting it in this car. This car see about 1,200 miles a year with short trips. Does anyone see a problem with this?

A magnetic oil pan bolt is a good judge of 5W-20 oil in 5W-30 applications/recommendations.

The last time I made that same switch, my magnetic oil pan bolt was loaded with little silver metallic shavings.

Never happened with 5W-30 prior to that. For 80K, that magnetic bolt stayed clean of shavings.

I say go with it. seems like most engines today can run anything within a +/-1 Spec of what it recommended with no problems given the operator takes care of it.

I often use 5w20 on our 2008 Sentra that sees about 25K annually. No issues so far. We have almost 40k on there now.

Many 5W-30 grade oils end up in the 20 grade range before long. So you were using a 20 grade oil off and on with your ownership anyway. Every 20 grade oil I have seen stays in grade and does not thin much if at all. And none thin into the 10 grade range that I have seen even under the worst of cases.

These may help you understand viscosity, the first one is more complete:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_haas_articles

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=259902#Post259902

aehaas

Now I'm curious... Is it because the 5w20's are synthetic blends and most 5w30 dino's are not? Perhaps they shear less due to this?

Basically.

You generally have to use a sturdier base stock with a thinner oil to keep volatility down. Whether that means dino, synthetic, or a blend (whatever those terms even mean any more), the result is a more shear-stable oil (among other things).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back