What brand Power Steering Fluid for my 2003 Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried several Power Steering Fluids and ATF's in 2000 MB E430, none works as good as Valvoline Maxlife PSF. All but Maxlife PSF made my steering whine when turning. Valvoline Maxlife PSF costs is very reasonable too, only $4.xx/qt.

If it has the variable assist or magnasteer you should use the fluid spec. recommended in the manual. I got negative response for putting ATF in there. It is widely availiable.

I am sure the pump will operate trouble free with ATF. I have been made aware that the valving set up on the rack can be fouled & seals could be compromised. It was never really clear the feedback I was given. I spent far to much time searching this out. But there was enough for me to just go buy the gallon of spec fluid and be done with any debates on the subject. The fluid turned black and I felt a need to flush it out and I used ATF. It was very clean when I replaced it with O'reilly PS which is GM specified. It was difficult getting feedback that changed my mind about the ATF. That and the fact that a rack costs $400+ for just the part. Who wants to change a rack? The labor could make it a $800 dollar bill.

I've always used GM Vehicle Care OEM PSF. Cost around $8-9/quart at your local GM/Chevy shop.

You probably could get away with a number of different brands that are cheaper, but a few quarts goes a long way so I don't see the cost as a big deal.

Doesn't MAXlife PS fluid have stop leak. I won't use any fluid with stop leak. I'd use regular Valvoline PS fluid though.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Doesn't MAXlife PS fluid have stop leak. I won't use any fluid with stop leak. I'd use regular Valvoline PS fluid though.

Yes, Maxlife PSF has stop leak.

Considering your location, I'll bet the dealer has GM "Cold Weather" power steering fluid, which is a semi-synthetic of some kind. It's green rather than amber. It worked well in my 2001 Silverado with rack & pinion through three Michigan winters .

I am using Royal Purple synthetic with very good results. The standard fluid made steering very stiff in sub zero temps. I imagine any syn PS fluid would have the same results. 130,000 miles and pump still running good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back