what would u buy Purolator or ACDelco??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gone to the auto part store in my town since I lived here I have bought WIX oil filters all the time. Well the place shutdown. So the place near my work carries purolator (white) and AC Delco. I am 3 month 3000 mile guy. Valvoline Max life in my Silverado

I'd use the Purolator White filter. Truth is for a 3000 mile OCI the least expensive filter you can get will probably do fine.

It is tough coming by good info on oil filters. With all the people getting away with running a Fram, it may not make much difference what you run. In the past, I found AC had half again more media than Purolator. Does that mean they are a better filter now? Maybe, maybe not. If you have a fetish for metal end caps, depending in the app, you may want to go Purolator. If you want to keep as many of your dollars in America as possible, go AC, made in America by an American company.

One of the reasons good info is hard to come by is things change. One more time, the Knize study has nothing to do with current oil filters.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
I I am 3 month 3000 mile guy. Valvoline Max life in my Silverado
Maybe you should try to be a 4 month 4000 mile guy :). 3k oci s a waste of resources.

Originally Posted By: labman
One of the reasons good info is hard to come by is things change. One more time, the Knize study has nothing to do with current oil filters.

Are you scolding him for posting that link? That's ridiculous, there is a lot of good info there, current or not.

OP- Flip a coin, as it's not going to make any difference which you choose for a 3k OCI. In fact, just buy the one that's cheaper.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My last purolator classic was stamped, 'made in the USA'? Which apps are not?

Every single one of them is made by a foreign owned company. If Bosch didn't expect to create a flow of dollars to Germany, why did they buy Purolator? The profit going back to Germany may be higher than the American Labor. If you believe in buying American, you you need to look deeper than where it is made.

AcDelco, I prefer the Ecore design and I see you are driving a GM vehicle.

and in a 5.3 man you can go 5k if you drive highway alot. My 5.3 05 silverado hits 6-7500 with the OLM on dino regular Valvoline and Chevron oils. Great engine!

Last edited:
The webpage was last updated on 2/19/08. It also has a disclaimer that it is not the gospel truth. Let people decide what is accurate or not since they are the ones spending the money.

I'd use either but given a choice I'd have to go with the Purolator Classic. The bypass design is not part of equation and it's a matter of ACDelco E-core's 94% efficiency vs Purolator's 97.5% both @20 microns. Plus the Purolator has metal endcaps.

But since most places that carry the Classic also carry the P1 for a few dollars more, I usually use the P1 and get 99.9% efficiency.

But Labman has a point about Purolator's now foreign ownership and I'm kind of torn on that. It's kind of nicce having an OEM branded filter too.

I thought that link was interesting that it mentioned the '99 vintage of ACDelco PF2 and apparently it was ACDelco that pioneered the Ecore style bypass. Plus it had a lot of filter surface area and deep pleats. ACDelco use to make good filters.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I thought that link was interesting that it mentioned the '99 vintage of ACDelco PF2 and apparently it was ACDelco that pioneered the Ecore style bypass. Plus it had a lot of filter surface area and deep pleats. ACDelco use to make good filters.

they still do. The Ecore delcos are not junk.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

they still do. The Ecore delcos are not junk.

I don't think the Ecores are junk but I think the old ACDelco made by ACDelco were better. Especially for the time they were very good filters. ACDelco also had one of the best air filters.

Quote:
spend the few extra bucks and get the P1(yellow)much better filtering filter.
For a 3k oil change, it would be a waste of money, IMO.

As hate2work said, buy which ever on is less expensive. If there is a Wally in the area and I was even thinking about the AC ecore, I'd buy a Super Tech and save money. In this areas the ST is .75 cheaper. For 3k, it makes little difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back