Not open for further replies.
1. Valvoline Synpower
2. Valvoline Maxlife
3. Royal purple
4. Castrol Syntec
5. Pennzoil Platinum
6. QuakerState
7. Mobil 1

Okay, I know it's a case of semantics, but I regard "European Formula" to mean European Formula. That would be their 5W-40 and 0W-30 products. Their 5W-30 products would be Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra Diesel.

Today one has to be precise, what with the proliferation of multiple versions of similarly named products. Just look at the potential issues from someone simply recommending the use of "Mobil 1". I forgot about Pennzoil's 0W-30 version, though.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: buster
Royal Purple makes some decent oils, but are they really any better than PP/M1? I think not.

Based on those cam pics, I'd say RP is definitely better than M1 (and likely oil labeled API SM and ILSAC GF-4 oil) regarding wear control.

Ranking based on 5W-20 and 5W-30 grades...

1. PP
2. M1
3. RP
4. QS Syn
5. Syntec
6. Max Life Syn
7. Valvoline SP

If we were talking 40 or 50 weights, M1 would take my top spot.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
I also feel RP is superior to any of the oils on that list.

I'm curious as to how you can determine that? You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Just curious. If it's not subjected to the same testing as Mobil 1 or PP, how do you know? I've seen ZERO data to suggest RP is better than any other oil on the market.
coffee2.gif

And I am curious why you would pose that question and challenge someone who is supporting RP, but not question those who said it was the worst oil ever produced? Gotta work both ways...

Not in order and whatever is on sale.

Mobil 1
Pennzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol syntec
QuakerState

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I know some of you hate these types of threads....so don't reply if you don't like it. For the rest of us who like to see what others think.

Lets asume they are all xw30 weights you can buy off of any auto parts store shelf. Rank these synthetic oils in order from what you think is best to what you think is worst. If you want, list why.

Here is my order.

1. Pennzoil Platinum
2. Q Synthetic
3. Castrol Syntec, (mostly because of GC)
4. Mobil 1
5. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic
6. Valvoline Synpower
7. Royal Purple

1. Mobil 1
2. Castrol Syntec
3. Valvoline Synpower
4. Royal Purple
5. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic
6. Pennzoil Platinum
7. Quaker Cake Syn

Here is mine mostly due to price and availability.
I honestly would run Red Line or Amsoil if I could get it locally but neither is available where I shop and I am not chasing it, I would have to extend the OCI out to compensate for cost so I just with PennPlat or a good HDEO oil like Dello or Rotella for now.

1. Pennzoil Platinum
2. Mobil 1
3. Valvoline Synpower do not like the latest VOA I saw.

Catfish's of the bunch. ( bottom feeders in my opinion )
4. Castrol syntec, will not buy unless ON SALE
5. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic too high for me
6. Royal Purple way way too high
7. Q Synthetic to bad a rep from old days

In my Toyota 2AZFE:

1) Royal Purple 5w20
2) GC Castrol 0w30
3) M1/Kendall GT1 tied. 5w20/5w30
* Might try: Amsoil & Redline

That's all I've used. No more ARCO Graphite, so short list :)

Last edited:
1. Pennzoil Platinum
2. Valvoline Synpower
3. Q Synthetic
4. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic
5. Mobil 1
6. Castrol Syntec
7. Royal Purple

i base this on 30% corp resources and 50% UOAs and 20% personal pref

Me,if I had my choice of any synthetics,the only ones I`d probably choose would be Royal Purple,Amsoil,Redline,and Motul (no preference on one of those brands over the other,they`re just the only ones I know of that are somewhat easy to get).

Last edited:
1. Valvoline Synpower
2. Pennzoil Platinum
3. Q Synthetic
4. Mobil 1
5. Castrol Syntec
6. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic
7. Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back