Frequencies known to interfere with 802.11g?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
We're kind of veering off topic here, but it's an interesting discussion nonetheless. So, are there any specific recommendations on how to point the wireless antennas depending on your application? For example, I've read that if all your clients are on the same floor, you should keep the antenna(s) in a vertical position, whereas if your clients span multiple floors, keeping the antenna(s) in a more horizontal position would work better.

In my case, the wireless router (WRT54G running Tomato) is in the basement of a 2-story house. I tried various antenna positions, but haven't observed much difference in signal strength (using Network Stumbler). Are there any good (and free) tools to measure wireless signal strength that I can use to measure this?

Pole type antenna transmit in the direction "orthogonal" or perpendicular, to the axis of the pole. That's why if everyone is on the same floor you should stand it up vertically (then it transmit horizontally).

We're kind of veering off topic here, but it's an interesting discussion nonetheless. So, are there any specific recommendations on how to point the wireless antennas depending on your application? For example, I've read that if all your clients are on the same floor, you should keep the antenna(s) in a vertical position, whereas if your clients span multiple floors, keeping the antenna(s) in a more horizontal position would work better.

In my case, the wireless router (WRT54G running Tomato) is in the basement of a 2-story house. I tried various antenna positions, but haven't observed much difference in signal strength (using Network Stumbler). Are there any good (and free) tools to measure wireless signal strength that I can use to measure this?

if you have a DROID wifi analyzer works good.

It took me about 15 pictures with my camera to get a photo this good.. you cant take a screenshot of wifi analyzer but you can export it as a CSV file

droid.jpg

note the camera reflection
frown.gif

Last edited:
that looks interesting I might check it out when my lenovo t400 gets here tomorrow.. after being stuck in canadian customs for 5 days.... sigh + double facepalm on that one.

I experimented with different antenna positioning and inSSIDer. Seems like antenna position made little to no difference in my case - 1-2 units in RSSI change, at most.

I suppose my signal is strong enough so the position doesn't really matter.

Just an update: Got the NextGen Remote Control Extender - it works fine over 2 floors. Haven't noticed any interference with 802.11g either.

Are there any good (and free) tools to measure wireless signal strength that I can use to measure this?

Netstumbler can do that.

I tried various antenna positions, but haven't observed much difference in signal strength (using Network Stumbler).

Originally Posted By: brianl703

Netstumbler can do that.

56.gif

By the way, the visual representation that inSSIDer provides is actually quite useful in determining wi-fi traffic/congestion on various channels. I know NetStumbler basically collects the same data, but I like the visual aid. :)

Last edited:
Network Stumbler gets it's information from the hardware driver. So any other application will display the same numbers as Netstumbler, although maybe in a nicer form.

but how would using Netstumbler or Inssider help any more than the built-in Windows or your WiFi card's properties option (whatever its called where it lists all available networks) ?

These 3rd party softwares pull the same 802.11 networks in the area and give you the channel# and strenghth they are at. Nothing more.

What's needed is something that can really tell you if anything else (other than wifi) is causing interference and on what channel. Can netstumbler or inssider do that ?
something like a RF channel sniffer.

yep thats what I am talking about. actually it was right there at the bottom of the InSSIDer page.

As quoted from the specs -
•Tracks all radio activity from Wi-Fi, Cordless Phones, Microwave ovens, Zigbee, Bluetooth, or any other 2.4 GHz device.

a bit pricey but very high geek factor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back