Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
Here are pictures of his cams. (I did wipe them down for the pictures)

Did you do the same for the Mobil 1 cams?

Have you had a chance to mic these?

I did not, I still am trying to get ahold of a micrometer, the caliper shoed the same readings.

I did not have a chance to do the Mobil 1 Cams yet, I hope to this week. the M1 Cams are from "Deimos" on this forum
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1686660&page=1

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
Royal Purple has stated over and over that their oils do not contain Group III. They state they are all Group IV & V.
[/quote]

^^Yep,I`ve talked with them and they told me straight up that their oils are all group IV/V based and didn`t give me all that "our base stocks are "proprietary" jargon.

Originally Posted By: steve20
OK then, would anyone like to explain how this magic motor read boat anchor) can do better in tests in your hands, than the mags like C&D--yeah, I'm sure it's the 'bolt ons'S

Not a drag racer are you? I guess I shouldn't mention the mulitude of mid-11 to high-10 second bolt on Mach 1's (116-123 mph traps) then. True bolt on cars too, N/A, stock longblock, stock cams, stock intake, and over 3000 lbs. Low 12s is not uncommon for bolt on 3Vs, a few have broken into the 11s.

Like I said, ignorant. Using non-driving C&D's tests of stock cars isn't making you look less ignorant, FYI.

Those Ford 4.6 V8`s are insane!!!!!!! I think it`s one of the the best,if not the best motor Ford has ever made.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Those Ford 4.6 V8`s are insane!!!!!!! I think it`s one of the the best,if not the best motor Ford has ever made.

Yup they made Wards 10 Best Engines List 3 times.
I ran
13.7 @ 103 Stock on street tires
13.3 @ 105 Underdrive Pulleys, Intake and Tune, 4.10 Gears, Street Tires
12.7 @ 107 Underdrive Pulleys, Intake and Tune, 4.10 Gears, Longtube Headers, Delete Plates, Drag Radials
12.3 @ 110 Underdrive Pulleys, Intake and Tune, 4.10 Gears, Longtube Headers, Delete Plates, Drag Radials, Upper/lower Control Arms, Aluminum Driveshaft, 3500 Stall Torque Converter

OK I'm sure it's probably been mentioned already but those valve cover were obviously cleaned. A before cleaning pic would've been better. Also the cam's look typical not particularly great or bad.

I ran
12.7 @ 107 Underdrive Pulleys, Intake and Tune, 4.10 Gears, Longtube Headers, Delete Plates, Drag Radials
12.3 @ 110 Underdrive Pulleys, Intake and Tune, 4.10 Gears, Longtube Headers, Delete Plates, Drag Radials, Upper/lower Control Arms, Aluminum Driveshaft, 3500 Stall Torque Converter

Well that changes things quite a bit. Your final run is with the car way, way beyond stock and heavily modified.

Well that is not what the owner said a few years back when Terry was first looking into it and getting excited about their unique additive package. Then it was clearly stated that the street oils had mostly G-III in them with some PAO and other stuff in it and this is also why it sheared so badly even in a 5W30 which is pathetic for a 5W30 to shear badly when it is supposed to be synthetic!!! THeir Race oils where PAO not their street oils. So prove to me that the old information is not valid!!! Show me white papers that claim it is 100% PAO formula or nothing less then G-IV for the street oils. The OEM will not make that claim because they would probably get sued for false advertising. Their is no way that a 100% PAO 5W30 oil would have the numbers it has for the virgin product then perform so badly in multiple applications against known oils that where at the time 100% PAO! So do provide some imperical data to prove it is PAO. I was nice enough to dig up a research paper from Europe documenting the exact G-IV and higher base stocks in M1 0W40 on this site not too long ago.

Royal Purple is over hyped well advertised and over priced. Compared to many cheaper oils it does not perform up to the level of the hype and steep pricing it enjoys. It is not a premium synthetic it is at best a run of the mill synthetic until you step up to their race oils. It is marked like snake oil!I have tried it and was not impressed their gear oil and MTL/Syncromesh is some of the worst stuff I have tried. Sure it is not going to be the cause of a lubrication failure but beyound that it is notin the same ball park as Redline or AMsoil other then it's price!I dare say it is no better then Penzoil Platnium but cost's a lot more!

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I ran

Well that changes things quite a bit. Your final run is with the car way, way beyond stock and heavily modified.

True but the Engine is still stock I never open it up (Except last month when I replaced the CAMS) but I have not run the car tuned with cams, still working that out, I posted my Mods way back on Page 5 so I was not trying to imply anything. Yes the Car is Modded I never mis-represented that, but all mods were done by me except the gears.
I even replace the converter so I am sorry if someone got the idea that the car was stock, it's not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
OK I'm sure it's probably been mentioned already but those valve cover were obviously cleaned. A before cleaning pic would've been better. Also the cam's look typical not particularly great or bad.

Like I said I wiped them down for the pictures, I did not use any cleaner, just wiped the oil off to it would not drip inside his car when he took them down for powder coating. That was the main purpose on removing the covers, not to take pictures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Well that is not what the owner said a few years back when Terry was first looking into it and getting excited about their unique additive package.

A lot can change in a few years.

However...
which is pathetic for a 5W30 to shear badly when it is supposed to be synthetic!!!

+1

Well that is not what the owner said a few years back when Terry was first looking into it and getting excited about their unique additive package. Then it was clearly stated that the street oils had mostly G-III in them with some PAO and other stuff in it and this is also why it sheared so badly even in a 5W30 which is pathetic for a 5W30 to shear badly when it is supposed to be synthetic!!! THeir Race oils where PAO not their street oils. So prove to me that the old information is not valid!!! Show me white papers that claim it is 100% PAO formula or nothing less then G-IV for the street oils. The OEM will not make that claim because they would probably get sued for false advertising. Their is no way that a 100% PAO 5W30 oil would have the numbers it has for the virgin product then perform so badly in multiple applications against known oils that where at the time 100% PAO! So do provide some imperical data to prove it is PAO. I was nice enough to dig up a research paper from Europe documenting the exact G-IV and higher base stocks in M1 0W40 on this site not too long ago.

Royal Purple is over hyped well advertised and over priced. Compared to many cheaper oils it does not perform up to the level of the hype and steep pricing it enjoys. It is not a premium synthetic it is at best a run of the mill synthetic until you step up to their race oils. It is marked like snake oil!I have tried it and was not impressed their gear oil and MTL/Syncromesh is some of the worst stuff I have tried. Sure it is not going to be the cause of a lubrication failure but beyound that it is notin the same ball park as Redline or AMsoil other then it's price!I dare say it is no better then Penzoil Platnium but cost's a lot more!

RP has never been a GRP III oil. Someone is feeding you a line of [censored].

You continue to make these claims about base stocks and shearing and being overhyped but you provide NO proof at all. You are a hater and your comments are not to be given any credibility.

That is complete and utter [censored]. RP street oils have never been Group III. They have put it in writing before and will do so again if you email them and ask. It is PAO. I'm all for not supporting/liking a product but you don't need to make up stuff to validate your stance.

If you take away the shearing, RP is a pretty good oil. In fact, with RP's 12 Tbn, it's a very capable long drain oil.

Some oils using viscosity modifiers that will shear down. It could be a way to gain more HP.

Not to mention the shearing has been pretty much limited to the 5w30 and even in those cases fuel dilution was normally present.

Wow, hardly a "stocker". I know a few hot Stangs, and they love to say how it's all stock. It's ok, because hot rodders have been sandbagging for years.

The ET's are very impressive, but why the seemingly low trap speed? Can you please provide D/A for those runs?

My absolutely stock 4400 pound Whale can trap 111, admittedly under ideal conditions. But exactly as delivered from the showroom.

Sorry, but basic bolt-ons plus a moderate stall speed torque converter is not "heavily" modified. Far from it...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My absolutely stock 4400 pound Whale can trap 111, admittedly under ideal conditions. But exactly as delivered from the showroom.

Have you actually done it yourself? Because most of the SRT8 Challengers and Chargers are 106 mph cars at best at my local drag strip. This is at an elevation of 60 ft. above sea level as well.

I've seen the video of the "stock" 300C SRT8 going high 12s @ 110-111, but after seeing dozens of the 6.1 Hemis in action personally, I've yet to see a stock one perform anything close to that. I've driven bolt-on N/A 2Vs to easy victories over tune/exhaust SRT8 Challengers at the strip.

I think what you had with that 300C was a factory freak along with mineshaft air (-2000' DA or better) and a very well prepped drag strip. An aligning of the planets as it were.

Most oils will shear a bit. Most oils have low HT/HS. It's a way to achieve better mpg.

As long as wear is not impacted, there really isn't a need to worry IMO>

How is the shearing on my Sample?

Blackstonetest.jpg

Shearing wouldn't bother me as long as the wear was good and my engine was as clean as this one.

2k05gt, RP specs their 5w20 at 8.7cst @100c, so it held up well for you. I suspect 'shearing' problems with RP are more due to fuel dilution that Blackstone is not catching due to their method of measuring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back