Gas mileage---Syn Blend or Full Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would going from a Syn Blend (Motorcraft 5W20) to a full synthetic like PP or M1 give me any more mileage out of my F150 5.4L?? I'm trying to squeeze every MPG I can and if they are compareable in price I'd switch. I've had good results with both oils. I actually used PP in my old car and went to Valvoline Synpower where mileage went down. I went back to PP and it came back to where it was before. This UNSCIENTIFIC example shows me that OILS do matter for certain engines. Would either of the above give me anything in my F150? OR would I have to go to a Royal Purple or Amsoil to maybe see a difference?----VenzaTRD

Originally Posted By: VenzaTRD
Would going from a Syn Blend (Motorcraft 5W20) to a full synthetic like PP or M1 give me any more mileage out of my F150 5.4L?? I'm trying to squeeze every MPG I can and if they are compareable in price I'd switch. I've had good results with both oils. I actually used PP in my old car and went to Valvoline Synpower where mileage went down. I went back to PP and it came back to where it was before. This UNSCIENTIFIC example shows me that OILS do matter for certain engines. Would either of the above give me anything in my F150? OR would I have to go to a Royal Purple or Amsoil to maybe see a difference?----VenzaTRD

I have a 4500 lb Nissan Pathfinder with 3.5L V6 that got only 13-15mpg city driving in hilly Worcester, MA. Bought a 300ml can of LubroMoly MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment at NAPA for $4.29, part no. 2009. Made in Germany by Liqui Moly GMBH.
Put it in and filled up.

Pathy has M1 5W-40 Truck/Suv in it. Since adding the Moly, it spins faster when cold, is quieter, peppier, rolls further in gear with foot off the gas, feels like I changed the oil and plugs and got a tank of 100% ethyl but its the same E10 from a nearby Mobil Station with 6 month oil and 72,000 mi plugs.

Trip odometer reached 300 miles on the tankful for the very first time in the truck's life and it turned in 307mi/18gal=17.05 mpg which is a vehicle record for city mileage. It done as high as 21 mpg at a steady 65mph on a freeway, but never hit 17 in the city before. I should add that the truck has not seen an energy conserving oil in the last 4 oil changes and maybe that skewed results.

Lubri Moly's MoS2 lubricants are very highly regarded by performance car enthusiasts with Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, Porsche and VW with turbo. From what I've read,.3uM sized MoS2 particles pass right through car filters, won't precipitate out, and protect high wear areas like connecting rod bearings and camshaft followers even better than ZDDP. MoS2 survives combustion temperatures and sticks to metal like it was welded.

My
49.gif
I'd give it a try. Its going in ALL the cars in this family now. Best $5 I've spent in years, no kidding. Right up there with Conti Extreme Contacts and Purolator Pure One oil filters.

Nano lubricants rock!
01.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilGuy2
Originally Posted By: VenzaTRD

I have a 5400 lb Nissan Pathfinder with 3.5L V6 that got only 13-15mpg city driving in hilly Worcester, MA. Bought a 300ml can of LubroMoly MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment at NAPA for $4.29, part no. 2009. Made in Germany by Liqui Moly GMBH.
Put it in and filled up.

Pathy has M1 5W-40 Truck/Suv in it. Since adding the Moly, it spins faster when cold, is quieter, peppier, rolls further in gear with foot off the gas, feels like I changed the oil and plugs and got a tank of 100% ethyl but its the same E10 from a nearby Mobil Station with 6 month oil and 72,000 mi plugs.

Trip odometer reached 300 miles on the tankful for the very first time in the truck's life and it turned in 307mi/18gal=17.05 mpg which is a vehicle record for city mileage. It done as high as 21 mpg at a steady 65mph on a freeway, but never hit 17 in the city before. I should add that the truck has not seen an energy conserving oil in the last 4 oil changes and maybe that skewed results.

Lubri Moly's MoS2 lubricants are very highly regarded by performance car enthusiasts with Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, Porsche and VW with turbo. From what I've read,.3uM sized MoS2 particles pass right through car filters, won't precipitate out, and protect high wear areas like connecting rod bearings and camshaft followers even better than ZDDP. MoS2 survives combustion temperatures and sticks to metal like it was welded.

My
49.gif
I'd give it a try. Its going in ALL the cars in this family now. Best $5 I've spent in years, no kidding. Right up there with Conti Extreme Contacts and Purolator Pure One oil filters.

Nano lubricants rock!
01.gif

What year is your Pathfinder? The curb weight for a 2008 is 4,684lbs......

If your just looking for milage it's hard to justify anything more cost wise the MC syn Blend for 2.77 a qt. It's really hard to recoupe the cost difference between it and PP or other full syns with a 1mpg gain if that.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
If your just looking for milage it's hard to justify anything more cost wise the MC syn Blend for 2.77 a qt. It's really hard to recoupe the cost difference between it and PP or other full syns with a 1mpg gain if that.

+1

Originally Posted By: OilGuy2
2001; oops! I saw the typo...should have been 4500 lbs.
Thanks for bringing it up.

No prob. I was just sort of eyebrow raised there, because that is coming in on Expedition weight territory, LOL!

My current half-informed opinion is that HTHS is what really matters WRT fuel economy.
If you have an engine that places no particular stress upon itself or its oil, so you don't need high HTHS, a low HTHS oil should yield better fuel economy.
Check out the HTHS of M1 0W-30 AFE vs M1 0W-40 or M1 5W-30.
Friction modifiers?
Sure!
I think the real story, though, is that the AFE has an HTHS of 2.99, while the others are considerably higher.

Fuel economy was the primary reason I betrayed the owner's manual and switched to 5w30(year round) a few years ago. I've tried full syns, blends, and additives(VSOT, Lubegard, now Lubro-Moly MoS2)...but I've never really seen any head-turning results. However, I do believe that the combination of quality oils & friction modifiers w/ short OCIs have benefited my rapidly aging engine. A recent compression test revealed all cylinders are still within spec, it continually passes annual emission tests w/flying colors, and my mpgs have never consistently decreased.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech

If you check the rebate threads on this site you can get syn oils for less than $2/qt. PP recently had a $15 rebate on a $20 5 qt jug at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back