Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run the 9.10 live cd (32-bit) on 2 machines, a 3 yr old Dell XPS400 (dual-booting XP SP3-Hardy) and a 1.5 yr old Dell Inspiron 530 (dual-booting Vista/Jaunty). I noticed only one problem. When I terminated the live cd on the 530 and tried to restart, the system just hung up. Haven't yet tried a 2nd time. That said, while 9.10 seems to look good...I also don't see any important reason to put it on either machine when the next LTS is only 6 months away. My plan right now is to nuke both Ubuntu installs in favor of 10.04 when it arrives.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Pretty funny. I guess support for DRM is considered an advantage.

LOL!

I just did a fresh install (rather than an upgrade) of 9.10 on my 3 year old laptop this morning. From start to finish, the install took about 20 minutes and everything just plain works...including my bluetooth mouse that needed special drivers to work with Win7. I even installed the Windows version of Itunes (it works under wine) since my daughter likes to sync up her ipod to my music library sometimes. It's VERY responsive and quick to boot.

I ran Ubuntu 8.04 for about 6 months, not 100% window free because of my Zune. I had a Virtual Box install with a 20gig XP Virtualized OS for the Zune Software to sync my music. Other than that it was reliable, fast and great to be 90% windows free.

After 6 months, I installed the Windows 7 64-bit RTM and ran that for some time. Couple days I go, I wiped the laptop again and installed Linux Mint Gloria and installed Windows 7 via Virtual Box for the Zune again. A few quirks for the Virtual Box setup but smooth now. Working out a few more bugs(if you shutdown the laptop it doesn't shutdown, goes to a blank white screen).

All in all yes Windows 7 is a bit easier to use, as most Windows versions are, but its nice to mix it up once in awhile. Linux has been getting better and better and is a nice alternative to the pay for stuff Mac OS X and Windows variants.

No experience with 7 here, but I thought I would add my experience with 9.10. I'm not a fan on the changes made to netbook remix for 9.10 so when I ran into difficulty getting wireless to work on my flash drive I gave up. I installed 9.10 Kubuntu 64 bit with ext4 on my Desktop, however and noticed a huge improvement. Not sure if it's 9.10 or 64bit, but I noticed much better performance, especially in games. Sauerbraten used to only muster 40-70 FPS but now I get as high as 170! I also installed Chrome and it seems to work great.

The only problem seems to be flash, still slow and choppy, Adobe really needs to get their act together on this. Why do so many sites have to use this junk?

-T

You can try Gnash to see how it works for your application to replace Flash.

Link to Gnash Home Page

You can find it in the Ubuntu/Kubuntu repositories including the plug-in for Firefox.

I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 and have it running but am not happy with the new Grub Boot Loader. I too noticed quite a few improvements and it seems faster than previous distributions. Ext4 seems an improvement as well.

Are you sure that you're using "Adobe flash non-free" package for 64 bit? I had choppiness in x64 Ubuntu until I installed this package. Never hurts to double check.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Are you sure that you're using "Adobe flash non-free" package for 64 bit? I had choppiness in x64 Ubuntu until I installed this package. Never hurts to double check.

Agreed - Distributions are *not* technically allowed to use the Abode Flash, as it is not freely re-distributable; so a lot of distro's include F/LOSS implementations of a Flash plug-in, none of which really work all that well.

The one(s) that were installed by default in my Debian Lenny install froze my browser while testing out YouTube!

On my laptop went to appearance and then visual effects, changed the setting to none.

I have installed it too on my desktop (both 64 bit versions) but have not played much with it as I have it setup to tripple boot with Windows 7, Linux Mint 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 which is a fresh install.

Hope that helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back