can't remove strut mount retaining nut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to change the struts on wife's carvavan. I removed the struts from vehicle and compressed the springs with a borrow spring compressor. The nut and thread doesn't look corroded. The whole shaft turns when I try to remove nut. I tried a very tight vice grip on the shaft but it's too smooth and slick a surface I guess because it'll spin inside the vice grips teeth. Any ideas tips would be appreciated.

They make a tool for that. On my Cavalier, I used an offset box wrench to hold the nut and screwed the shaft out with an Allen wrench. Inthe past, I ground a flat on the shaft for the vice grips.

Originally Posted By: labman
They make a tool for that. On my Cavalier, I used an offset box wrench to hold the nut and screwed the shaft out with an Allen wrench. Inthe past, I ground a flat on the shaft for the vice grips.

Hmmm? yep, that's the ticket, grinding a flat. will try it 2morrow thx.

Vice grips of power??? Do you play World of Warcraft too?
25.gif

If you are going to dump the old strut, you can grind or file a bit of a rough spot or flat for the vice grips to grab.
A torch to heat the nut will help, but you'll fry the bearing.
An impact gun is best.
Maybe bringing it to a shop for a quick zap off and on is best.

More than once I've taken a grinder to a nut to get it off. You only have to grind to the threads in once place. Cut off wheels work, too, if there's room.

Nut breakers work ok if you can get a big enough one onto the nut.

I've always loosened the nut first, before removing the strut/spring assembly and certainly before compressing the spring.

Thanks for the tips. grinding the flat did the trick. Now I'm fighting with seating the upper strut mount seat. Can't get the shaft with the centered. I wonder if I can take this to a shop and have them mount the struts on the coil for me? Can't take the vehicle. It's my wifes 2000 caravan.

"Can't get the shaft with the centered" is tough to decipher.

Many upper strut mounts are offset, and won't look centered.
What is the problem? What parts don't look right?

the upper part of the spring sits against a rubber seat. I can't center the shaft enough to bring it through the bearing plate and put the nut on. sorry, new to this, the lingo is confusing.

There should be spring seats that orient the spring on the top and bottom of the strut mountings.
Sometimes rubber seats.
Maybe that is the problem - they are not oriented at the bototm, so the top won't mate.
Are the springs new or old?

Their old. I'm trying to match the spring to the markings which show where they ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back