EGR and fuel system cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

regarding the failed smog check on this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1541339&page=1

We had a diagnostic done on the car, they said that the EGR and Fuel system needed cleaning, at a cost of $265.

so my question is: what do you use to clean out the hoses and pipes of the EGR? I presume you take it apart and run brake cleaner? seafoam? carburator cleaner thru the hoses? take a wire brush to the pipe?

and the fuel system, think i can just run a few bottles of techron?

I wouldn't use brake cleaner. I once tried to use it to clean a carb on a lawn tractor and when it started up, I think mustard gas came out.

Probably the problem is that the pathway from the EGR valve through the throttle body is carboned up. You'll probably need something more like a set of picks to get it scraped out.

WOW what a ripp off. I jsut cleaned out my egr 2 weeks ago, and the EGR tube. Remove the entire EGR valve, and pull it out. Use throttle body cleaner, or B12 makes a kind of carb cleaner..it melts carbon off. Spray it into all the passeges of the EGR, and carefully use an old toothbrush, q tip, whatever fits without forcing it. Keep spraying till the spray runs clear. Spray the outside and inside of the engine where the EGR connects too carefully..wipe with disposable auto towels immedialty, as carb cleaner, throttle body cleaner seesm to evaporate quickly.
Take apart the rest of the EGR valve, all tube connections, sray and let dry a few minutes. Put back on. It could be a faulty EGR too..sometimes the solenoid sensor fails, and soemtimes the egr tube itself gets stuck, which can be temporarliy fixed with pb blaster..just spray the little metal rod IF you can see the middle of the unit. I think if its CA emissions, the EGR is sealed..so something to think about.
Remove the EGR tube(metal tube that connects from end of EGR to engine head) clean that out too thoroughly. Might as well run run moapr combustion chamber cleaner, that GM stuff, and a bottle of techron or gumout regain, change the oil after and spark plugs..that should clean it up very nice..

I dont think running a bottle of techron is enough.carbon does gunk and stick and buildup. When i got my 95 neon back in 2000, it had 34,000 mioles on it. in 2004 i removed the EGR, and tube, and discovered the tube was literally about 80% filled/blocked off with gunky mudd looking carbon! To my knowledge it was a daily drive, even before i bought it. Sinc i had bought it, i had run Maxlife fuel system cleaner, techron twice a year, and in that time frame, apparently it didnt clean up everything, at least as far as the EGR system. thats my 2 cents. DEF, remove it, clean it out, and the other stuff i mentioned. Shuold only come at a cost of about $10 or $12 for a roll of shop towels and carb spray! Just wear gloves..carb scleaner is nasty stuff. Nitrile gloves*

swalve, interesting about the mustard gas. My freinds father, back in the 70's was a mechanic. He was working one night, late at this shop, and lit a cigarette, while playing around with someones a/c system. Apparently, some of the freon got in the cig smoke, or it somehow lit it i guess. few of the guys in the shop started throwing up violently...didint happen until the cigarette made contact with the freon..they referred to it a, mustard gas***
My ex brother in law, once told me a story, of a guy he knew like 20 years ago..playing around with an a/c unit in a car. Apparently freoon got in his eye, and it froze it* crytalized it. A trip to the emergency room, led to the removal of his right eye, i belive it was.
what have we learned? Dont play with freon kids!

For your own saftey do not use brake clean on the EGR components. They make EGR system cleaners that work excellent and will not destroy your lungs if its burned off after reinstalling. Look into some of the Justice Bros. egr cleaning proucts. You could even buy an induction tool and kit for under $100 from your local sales rep. I have the induction tool/canister and its paid for itself time and time again.

Brake cleaner may work, but it isn't strong enough for EGR cleaning. Use a dedicated sauce, or maybe B12.
For the fuel system the strong version of Chevron Techron run through the tank is a very good idea.

Cleaning EGR passages is never fun and most of the time it isn't easy. We have used pieces of coat hanger to scrape the passages clean, brake cleaner and tooth brushes.

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Usually the solids you'll find in EGR plumbing will be right in the area where the exhaust exits into the vacuum of the intake manifold. That's where the EGR exhaust gas cools and condenses causing any solids to build up. Like StevieC says, you can use wire, gun cleaners, pipe cleaners or drill bits or picks to ream, in conjunction with carb cleaner or the likes. I dunno of any safe, off the shelf liquid that will battle the really stubborn ones alone.

Joel

So it sounds like the EGR valve and the EGR pipe are the two things most likely gummed up? The hoses are less of a problem?

Brake cleaner will work fine if it is the chlorinated type. I did the manifold on my '02 Honda with chlorinated brake cleaner after throttle body, PowerFoam, IPA, and non-chlorinated brake cleaners wouldn't touch it. Of course, you want to ensure that all traces of cleaner but especially chlorinated brake cleaner are gone.

Before I figured this out, I used a coat hanger to help on my '94 GM 3.1L.

I use B12 Chemtool. I take the EGR off and I pour some B12 in it and then I use a screw driver to break up any chunks in the egr unit itself. The B12 in the pint can is more potent then the product in the spray can. I then use the spray can B12 to get to those places I can not get to with a liquid with parts off the car.Then I put everything back together and I normaly use the spray can B12 to fog down the intake air duct work with the engine running at about 2000 rpms to make sure it does not stall while I am fogging it. Fogging it with spray aerosol products is far safer then passing liquid into the engine while running like how many use Seafoam.

I have not had to do this though in years. My wifes Buick is the only thing I own that has an EGR on it. All of my Toyota's use variable cam phasing to simulate EGR.

Oh and another followup question: would you replace new any gaskets in the EGR pipe or would anyone ever consider re-using the gaskets? Keeping in mind it is a 15yo car with 171k miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back