Luvin' the tcw3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bit the bullet, and went ahead with TC-W3. Its viscosity is thicker than that of MMO - I remember somebody was saying MMO is similar to a 5W. I suppose that would make TC-W3 a 10W or thereabouts.

Anyhow, the ratio for my truck is 145 ml to a 92 litre tankful (4.9 oz to 24.3 gallons). I used a measuring cup to pour the exact mount into a container, and diluted the mixture a bit with gasoline because it was a bit on the thick side. It's been there for 200 km (125 miles) so far.

So far, there are two differences I've noticed when compared to MMO. The first is the engine idles quieter and the second is an interesting observation. If I let my truck idle with the AC on, the second the compressor disengages, the engine vibrates/shivers for 2 seconds before idles normally. Nobody was able to tell me the cause or remedy. But on the first tank of TC-W3 in there, the vibration has lessened to the extent where you can only feel it if you're paying attention. I wonder if it will disappear on the second or third tank with the recommended dose of TC-W3.

Interesting observations, let us know how it plays out for u. My thoughts are the thicker TC-W3 might just be making a better ring to cylinder seal upping compression. Shame u didn't do a before after compression test.

AD

Will keep posting on how well it does. Because my valve guides are currently shot, and my injector insulators require replacing, I always thought those were the reasons for the vibration (unmetered air going in). Albeit, I'm waiting on my mechanic to come back from his vacation to sort those out along with a couple of other things...everything's bought and ready.

I will be replacing everything from the valves themselves to the head gasket (might as well with the head off). Once the job is complete, what I can do is get a compression test done without TC-W3 (will not run anything in the tank for 750 miles), and get a compression test after with TC-W3 in the system for 1,000 miles.

Couple of more observations I have just noticed:

- There is a blue-ish hue on my rear aluminium bumper, just above the tail pipe. It comes off when you smear your finger across it.

- There are liquidified, soft carbon deposits inside my tail pipe, which were hardened carbon before. They are soft enough to wipe off with your finger or a tissue.

- My truck utilises a distributor-based ignition system. On the driver's side, there is a bit of oil-ish residue above the spark plug/ignition wire on cylinder #4 on the valve cover. It's impossible for it to have leaked from the gasket, because it is upwards of the gasket. That, and the gaskets are new. It wasn't there before and there is no evidence of it anywhere else.

I would love to see before/after compression results with the TC-W3 in the engine before all the work is done.

The top oils do some cleaning, my tail pipe is usually carbon free with the addition of MMO, if I stop using it the carbon in the TP returns. I will be testing TC-W3 very soon, I would expect similar results.

I'll try and get a test arranged soon, demarpaint. I'll have to do a bit of research though, to see where I can get it done - I was going to get my mechanic to do it.

Having said that, in that case the observations are nothing to worry about?

I have been using TCW-3 for many years and my exhaust pipe has black carbon, but I drive like a granny and it wipes out very easily. When I used the TCW-3 in my motorcycle, and ran it hard, I would not get any carbon build-up.

One thing good about the TCW-3 is that it keeps the fuel gauge sending unit from corroding. That is if it has the exposed coil like GM's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'll try and get a test arranged soon, demarpaint. I'll have to do a bit of research though, to see where I can get it done - I was going to get my mechanic to do it.

Having said that, in that case the observations are nothing to worry about?

Does your Mitsu see short trip driving? My tail pipe with the addition of MMO is very clean, I've never noticed liquified carbon deposits. My thinking is that the TC-W3 is leaving an oily residue, whereas the MMO I'm buring is burning up more completely? I do a lot of short trip driving with the E-150.

What did the TP look like when you used MMO in the gas? Perhaps you're TC-W3 dose is still a little too strong? Try playing around with the dosage and see what happens, or see if a longer trip matters if you are doing short trips.

I guess the TC-W3 isn't leaving any residue for you either? The few times I used it it seemed to totally burn off as well, maybe he is burning too much or not running trips long enough to get everything up to temp. That seems odd since Falcon_LS is in the Mid East and it is the blazing hot summer there. It shouldn't take to long to get things hot.

Come to think of it Falcon mentioned having valve guides in need of replacement. There could be some extra oil from the worn guides finding its way out the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

One thing good about the TCW-3 is that it keeps the fuel gauge sending unit from corroding. That is if it has the exposed coil like GM's

Good point and one I forgot about.

A friend of mine was having problems with a "we assumed" sticky float arm as his guage would hang up for a few days.

He had been watching me with my TC-W3 additions over the years and decided to try it himself. After few weeks the sticky guage disappeared.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I guess the TC-W3 isn't leaving any residue for you either? The few times I used it it seemed to totally burn off as well, maybe he is burning too much or not running trips long enough to get everything up to temp. That seems odd since Falcon_LS is in the Mid East and it is the blazing hot summer there. It shouldn't take to long to get things hot.

Come to think of it Falcon mentioned having valve guides in need of replacement. There could be some extra oil from the worn guides finding its way out the exhaust.

I had to do some exhaust work (got busted for no mufflers) a few months ago and there was only a slight powdery carbon layer inside my pipes. Nothing oily or anything. There had been at least 2 gallons of TC-W3 burned with those straight pipes on.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Does your Mitsu see short trip driving? My tail pipe with the addition of MMO is very clean, I've never noticed liquified carbon deposits. My thinking is that the TC-W3 is leaving an oily residue, whereas the MMO I'm buring is burning up more completely? I do a lot of short trip driving with the E-150.

What did the TP look like when you used MMO in the gas? Perhaps you're TC-W3 dose is still a little too strong? Try playing around with the dosage and see what happens, or see if a longer trip matters if you are doing short trips.

Actually my shortest trip consists of 16 miles. All the Mitsu ever sees is highway driving, although it does city driving every once in a while but very rarely.

The exhaust had carbon baked on it when I was using MMO, although it remained the same throughout. When I was not using it, you could scrape off the carbon deposits with something like a screwdriver. But you could still get a bit on your finger (nowhere near as much as it is now). Now with TC-W3, you can wipe the carbon off the inside of the TP.

I will try a different dosage next time, although at the moment I'm using 4.9 oz in my 24.3 gallon tank. Could possibly be the guides as well actually.
55.gif

I have a feeling it is the guides, no short trip issues here. I read a post where you had planned on taking care of it. Try a little less TC-W3 and see, but I think your dose is fairly safe.

Falcon,

You also don't have a Catalytic converter which could be the reason you are seeing residue in either case... The exhaust from your truck is allowed to exit freely without being super heated, this could also give you different results from those in the US.

Interesting results nevertheless.
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Demarpaint, I've got more results to report. The inside of my tail pipe is now completely clean. You can see the bare metal with a brownish hue to it. I will post a picture tomorrow, as it's dark outside right now. There is also no residue on the bumper or inside the TP.

Steve, I've decided to give it a go since I couldn't return the oil. Suppose the cat has a role to play as well.

cheers3.gif

Worthy of note, the oily residue I mentioned on the side of the driver's valve cover is now visible on the front of the cover. Again, there is no evidence of it elsewhere. That I still couldn't figure out. Mileage is now 400 km/250 miles.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Demarpaint, I've got more results to report. The inside of my tail pipe is now completely clean. You can see the bare metal with a brownish hue to it. I will post a picture tomorrow, as it's dark outside right now. There is also no residue on the bumper or inside the TP.

Steve, I've decided to give it a go since I couldn't return the oil. Suppose the cat has a role to play as well.

cheers3.gif

That sounds more like it, you are seeing the same results I see with MMO. Glad to hear it!

Demarpaint, here are some photos of what I've described previously. First one is of the rocker cover, above cylinder #4 (not seen elsewhere except the front of the same rocker cover):

001.jpg

The same residue left on the front:

002.jpg

Inside the tail pipe:

003.jpg

And the blueish hue left on the rear bumper, above the tail pipe:

004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back