MINI Cooper!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: XS650
That is definitely an anti-minivan. Good choice.

You can have fun just looking at that car, you don't even have to drive it to have fun.
thumbsup2.gif

Ignore the mouth breathers, and enjoy it.

Thanks guys, the smile on her face was worth it to me.

After about 200 miles my wife actually let me get behind the wheel and all I can say is that I am happy with our choice. The little 1.6 doesn't do much at lower revs but winds up quite nicely with a little bit of a growl.
19.gif

It cruises at about 2800rpm in 6th gear at 70mph so I am expecting good mileage figures.

Doesn't she look happy?

601211370_PhcBU-L.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
This woman bore my three children and is the greatest mother and wife that I could have ever asked for. She has had her fill of minivans, SUV's and wanted a MINI and by gosh, that's what she got. I am willing to pay for the extra service and repairs... she deserves it.

Yes, indeed. Kudos to you and your wife. You are a class act.

Addendum.......I will be sure to not let my wife of 32 years see this thread. She was similarly excited (and deserving) when I bought her a new vacuum cleaner last winter!

Best regards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Good to see you got the fluid leak fixed.

Its a MINI, not a Harley.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Addendum.......I will be sure to not let my wife of 32 years see this thread. She was similarly excited (and deserving) when I bought her a new vacuum cleaner last winter!

LOL!
Which reminds me of a joke.
A couple of quite a few years went to a marriage enrichment class. After a brief introduction, the counselor ask the husband if he knew what his wife's favorite flower was.
He leaned over to the wife and said "It's Gold Medal whole wheat, isn't it?"
The class was dismissed early as she had her divorce attorney on speed dial....

I have always liked the new Mini Cooper and have always wanted one. I like the great handling and the spritely performance. If you can find it on their site, look for the sci fi novel they created about a mad scientist who invented a giant robot from the Mini Cooper!?! It was really clever intro tool to create buzz about a new and quirky car. What unique marketing!
The original Mini was the genesis of the modern FWD econo box like the Golf/ Rabbit GTI and the Japanese versions. You should see a pack of them race in the SCCA races. It also did well in ralleys.
Who designed and built the engine in the new Mini? Where is the new Mini car built?

I knew going in that this was not the most reliable car for the money. If that was the most important criteria then I would have bought another Civic or Corolla.
This woman bore my three children and is the greatest mother and wife that I could have ever asked for. She has had her fill of minivans, SUV's and wanted a MINI and by gosh, that's what she got. I am willing to pay for the extra service and repairs... she deserves it.

Now THAT is an interesting perspective...
LOL.gif
I love my wife so much that out of my total gratitude, love and respect...I got her an automobile that breaks down a lot...
crazy2.gif
If it were anyone else I would have bought anothe reliable Japanese car...
21.gif

Good to see you got the fluid leak fixed.

Its a MINI, not a Harley.
grin2.gif

He was confused because the engine is the same size...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr

Who designed and built the engine in the new Mini? Where is the new Mini car built?

The engine was a joint venture between BMW and Peugeot and is really quite a marvel. The MINI is built in Oxford England and you can read more about the engine here:
Motoring File

Originally Posted By: PT1
I knew going in that this was not the most reliable car for the money. If that was the most important criteria then I would have bought another Civic or Corolla.

Now THAT is an interesting perspective...
LOL.gif
I love my wife so much that out of my total gratitude, love and respect...I got her an automobile that breaks down a lot...
crazy2.gif
If it were anyone else I would have bought anothe reliable Japanese car...
21.gif

I guess the party just never ends in Rubber City!
thumbsup2.gif

Cool car. I like the Minis a lot. I always check them out every year at the Central Florida Auto Show, seem like quality built cars. How has the gas mileage been with it?

Chrysler engine? Where the heck did that come from? The engine was a joint venture between BMW and Peugot/Citroen.

I didnt like the 15000 mile service either. I do a change myself inbetween the dealer service every 7500.

We have a 2006, and when we bought it all I read were great reviews. You do know that this car holds its value better than any other car. Anyway I was surprised when I saw the JD power this year. Like someone said, who knows what kind of complaints go into those ratings. Mini must have had something happen along the way to bring them down.

You will love this car.

Note to self: When weather turns cooler (ha! probably not until Thanksgiving), take a trip to Mini dealer and test-drive a Clubman.

(When you buy a Clubman, do you get a free bottle of aftershave?)

Congrats! Great car.

Whenever the Saturn decides to die, I plan to get Cooper S with the 6-speed manual.

The MINI is the one car with a "Consumer Reports" recommended rating but also an extremely poor reliability rating.

I suppose the fun factor out-weights the poor reliability?

Not much fun to be stuck beside the road.

I still like the car!
thumbsup2.gif

It can't be as unreliable as my Austin Mini. *UGH* I know they aren't made by the same people, but it's funny how both aren't the greatest in this area!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: x97labelle
Chrysler engine? Where the heck did that come from? The engine was a joint venture between BMW and Peugot/Citroen.
...We have a 2006...

Yes, your '06 first gen. Mini uses a Chrysler designed engine similar to the 2.0 used in the Neon.

The engine you are referring to is used in the second generation Mini.

I know they aren't made by the same people

Uh, maybe they are. All of the new MINI Coopers are made in Oxford, England. But comparing a new MINI to the previous generation is like comparing the new Beetle to the original version.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Cool car. How has the gas mileage been with it?

Too early to tell but I will report back.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back