Educate me on mini's

Hey everyone I've been looking around for a fun yet practical ish daily driver for me. I'm looking to spend around 7k. I found an 04 mini Cooper s darn thing looks pretty clean. It's hard a fair amount of work done. I imagine they are not the easiest to work on but I have zero experience with them what do I need to know?
I wanted a fun zippy stick shift car with a car community around it. I like different cars so the mini kind of pulls at my heart strings a little bit.

Hey everyone I've been looking around for a fun yet practical ish daily driver for me. I'm looking to spend around 7k. I found an 04 mini Cooper s darn thing looks pretty clean. It's hard a fair amount of work done. I imagine they are not the easiest to work on but I have zero experience with them what do I need to know?
I wanted a fun zippy stick shift car with a car community around it. I like different cars so the mini kind of pulls at my heart strings a little bit.
I had an '05 Cooper S with a pulley and Invidia header + "one ball" mod.

Absolute blast to drive and sounded great. Fairly practical as well. Mine was still relatively new and all you really had to worry about was the belt tensioner and checking the supercharger for leaks. I don't think they're aging very well but if you're buying one that is cared for you'll probably enjoy it overall.

That is the first gen known as R50. Research The issues with that particular build / config.

Common Issues with MK1 MINIs

The MK1 MINI Cooper had three engines offered. S and JCW models came with a 1.6-liter supercharged Tritec engine. Naturally aspirated 1.6- and 1.4-liter engines were used in MINI One and base Cooper models. Generally, the Tritec engines are more reliable than the engines used in new MINI models, but they are not free from issues. Here are some of the most common mechanical issues that occur on MK1 MINIs.

• Water pump leak
  • Oil filter gasket
  • PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system
  • Leaking valve cover gasket
  • Supercharger failure (the oil in the supercharger is rarely changed)
  • Automatic transmission failure
  • Clutch failure

That is the first gen known as R50. Research The issues with that particular build / config.

Common Issues with MK1 MINIs

The MK1 MINI Cooper had three engines offered. S and JCW models came with a 1.6-liter supercharged Tritec engine. Naturally aspirated 1.6- and 1.4-liter engines were used in MINI One and base Cooper models. Generally, the Tritec engines are more reliable than the engines used in new MINI models, but they are not free from issues. Here are some of the most common mechanical issues that occur on MK1 MINIs.

• Water pump leak
  • Oil filter gasket
  • PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system
  • Leaking valve cover gasket
  • Supercharger failure (the oil in the supercharger is rarely changed)
  • Automatic transmission failure
  • Clutch failure
Sounds like BMW, oh wait ...

With a 19-year-old car sourcing certain parts may become problematic. I bought my 2015 Roadster S less than three years ago with just 5k miles on it. Other than prophylactic repairs there have been no problems.. The coolant crossover pipe had developed a tiny leak and I replaced it. The serp belt was getting old and the rubberized pully was developing cracks. I did the rear brakes, the fronts are coming up soon. I'm now at a bit over 50k miles. N12 and N14 suffer reportedly more from carbon buildup due to DI than the later N18 engine. No carbon buildup issues so far. As for the driving experience, coming from a 328i, the Mini is more fun. It's also a convertible which the 328i was not and driving topless gives me nearly 40 smiles per gallon on the highway. I've done 700 miles in a day with this car and that was just about my limit due to the RF tires.

Many unknowns on a near 20 year old vehicle. Any known common model issues were likely repaired earlier on.

They're not terrible to work on, space constraints. Recently put an alternator in one, ended up pulling the bumper/radiator etc to shoehorn it out.

Has 190k the owner says he has all the hard to get modules for it just in case. Super chargers been rebuilt, clutch has been done, the power steering system upgrades new struts. I'm a little scared of it since I don't know a lot about them but it's darn clean. Wonder if a pumpkin seat fits in the back 🤔🤔

Attachments

• received_5648960905232464.jpeg
    received_5648960905232464.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 12
  • received_906328687274407.jpeg
    received_906328687274407.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 11
  • received_710742397397395.jpeg
    received_710742397397395.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 12
  • received_6372193429468770.jpeg
    received_6372193429468770.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 12
  • received_1475916162940705.jpeg
    received_1475916162940705.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
  • received_487487540263183.jpeg
    received_487487540263183.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 12
Has 190k the owner says he has all the hard to get modules for it just in case. Super chargers been rebuilt, clutch has been done, the power steering system upgrades new struts. I'm a little scared of it since I don't know a lot about them but it's darn clean. Wonder if a pumpkin seat fits in the back 🤔🤔
Looks awesome. Some of the most fun you can have with clothes on.

Get rid of those boat anchor wheels and let it rip!

I’d be really tempted to say yes to this one, especially if you’ve got a spare vehicle and don’t have to sweat it every once in a while when this might need some tlc. I’ve got a friend who tracks his mini and enjoys it so much that the upkeep seems rewarding to him - but he does have an old explorer as a spare.

Back