Walmart Super Tech 10-30 in an abused Cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCB

How about Walmart 10/30 oil in an abused Cavalier. This car is beyond auto-rx and high milage oils. I met my wife too late. She had owned this car since 98 and abused it. I've had to replace the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket etc etc.

I just want to keep putting fresh oil in there every 3K and pray it stays on the road. Car makes frequent SHORT trips. I noticed the cheapest stuff at wal mart is the Super Tech 10/30 about $6 for a jug. Will this work fine or shoudl I spend the extra buck and put in some Penszoil or a "name" brand?

If it was me I'd just spend the extra buck. I mean how many times a year do you change it? If just a couple the cost is really insignificant. Atleast to me. What exactly is wrong with the engine? Is it sludged up bad?

Super Tech is fine for 3K OCIs. We've had a couple posters get 200K with Super Tech dino/3K OCIs. Keep looking for sales. Havoline is a Best Buy when you can find it on sale for around $1.25

Why wouldn't supertech 10-30 be just fine? Its API rated just like the "brand names" and probably IS one of the "brand names" in plain grey wrapper. Around here, Chevron or Havoline is on sale ocassionally for $0.59 or even $0.49 a quart after rebate. So buying a case or two when these sales occur would reduce your oil expense considerably.

My $0.02

Super Tech isn't a death sentence to an engine.It's just an inexpensive dino.It still meets the current SM spec.

Nothing wrong with picking this stuff over something like Pennzoil if you wanna save a few bucks.

I hate sounding like I'm in an opinion poll, but Alan is dead on.
Supertech 10W30 won't hurt a Cavalier's engine changed at 5000 miles under normal usage or 3000 miles under severe usage.

Well, if it's sludged to the point you think ARx won't help, then it doesn't matter. Frequent changes with the SuperTech will be fine. Unless it's beyond hope ARx might do it a lot of good. I wouldn't rule it out.

You might be able to discuss it with the site sponsor and ARx w/ the Wally World oil might be able to clean things up.
grin.gif

Super Tech 10w30 is SM/GF4 rated and carries the Starburst symbol. Just like the big names. What else do you need to know? Use it and sleep well.

Thanks. This engine is sludged. And I don't want to spring new leaks after cleaning it with the RX. I just want to keep this on the road.

I appreciate the feed back!

bypass

Not only have I read a couple of posts on auto-rx. I have used auto-rx in one of my cars.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
Super Tech isn't a death sentence to an engine.It's just an inexpensive dino.It still meets the current SM spec.

Nothing wrong with picking this stuff over something like Pennzoil if you wanna save a few bucks.

BTW,I am currently using Supertech dino 5W30 in my 2000 GTI VR6 with a young 38K miles on it.This high temperature engine seems to like this oil as it's performed quite(still a light golden color after 1k miles)well with no consumption.

There is nothing wrong with using Supertech oil, however, it isn't always the cheapest oil for instance you can usually get Citgo oil cheap at at a lot of places or you could get semi-synthetic trop-artic 10w-30 at dollar tree for a few more cents than Supertech. There is nothing wrong with using a cheap oil, in fact I think a lot of people waste a lot of money on expensive oils when they change their oil every 3000-4000 miles.

I'd still Auto-Rx it and then spring for an extra $0.44 and buy the $6.44 jug of Havoline oil that Walmart sells. My $0.02.

OCB, I've had girl friends that didn't have "time", to have their oil changed and their engines looked like your description. Don't give up on it,yet!
nono.gif

I changed the oil and filter, at about 1000 mile/30 day intervals, up to 6 times on that schedule. For the first 2 changes, I used 1 qt of MMO, and 4 qts, of HD 10w30 motor oil, in a 5 qt system and changed oil and filter at 500 mile intervals. The oil got black quickly, so 500 miles was about right. Then I used 1 pint (1/2 qt), for the remaining changes. That engine V6 Mustang, came back and ran decent, not great with a change of filters and plugs.
lol.gif

She hit a tree with it during our great Michigan, Icy Snowy Winters. She got a years use out of it before the crash...so it goes
crushedcar.gif

There may be hope. If she kept the oil level up and had leaking gaskets, this vehicle may have seen a steady replenishment of add pack. Are you sure it's heavily sludged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back