10w30 okay when car calls for 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by someone that during my 6 day/7500 km trip I should use Mobil 10w30 rather than the 5w30 my car calls for. The car in question is a 99 Accord 4 cyl. The car will see very few low temps on start up since it generally does not go below 0 anymore up here in Canada this time of the year. Would the 10w30 provide better protection for the trip or should I stick with the 5 I have been using all along?

When you say "0", I think you mean freezing, right? Anyway, I think you will be fine using either of the weight oils that you mentioned. The 10w-30 might be a gnats whisker better, but you will never notice any difference, IMHO.

Just remember at operating temps they are both 30wts although sometimes a 10W-30 may be a little thicker than a 0W-30 at the "top end." I like the 5W for quicker flow at startup but if you are going to put in the 10W-30 for the trip (more long running and fewer stops and starts) and then pull it before driving around home, you aren't going to see much difference.

If your engine is spec'd for 5w30 that is what to run in it.
dunno.gif

a 5w- is typically thinner than a 10w- oil, at usual startup temperatures. At operating temps, they are the same thickness.

The difference is that a 10w-30 is historically more shear-stable than a 5w-30, meaning that there is less chance of it thinning out of grade.

This is, however, less of an issue these days.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by pbudgell:
I was told by someone that during my 6 day/7500 km trip I should use Mobil 10w30 rather than the 5w30 my car calls for.

What exactly does the owner's manual say? Is 5w30 the only oil it says to use, or is is "preferred," but there are other options?

My wife's '92 Aerostar 3.0 manual says that 5w30 is preferred at all temperatures, but allows use of 10w30 above zero F. All I run in it is 10w30, because that is my "preferred" selection.

Oil consumption with hi-speed driving would be the only issue here. The M1 10-30 is consumed less in many cars, but some don't seem to care. If that isn't an issue, no reason to change. Probably not an issue with the Honda.

Check the manual. Many allow 10w30 or thicker in higher temperature ranges.

Your engine will not noticed the difference in warmer temps. 10w30 would inherently need less VIIs therefore making it more stable.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Like said above, once you are at the same operating temperature, it doesn't matter.
Actually, 0-30 M1 is slightly thicker than it's own 5-30 at operating temp - go figure.
I'd go for the easier flowing oils when cold [even a summer day has cold starts], but it won't make much difference for what you stated.

Mobil 1 0w-30 has a slightly lower HT/HS and higher volatility. Either one will work, but since we're entering summer, I'd go with M1 10w-30. **** , based on viscosity, at the ambient temps you'll be in, M1 10w-30 would be a lower viscosity than some dino 5w-30s, and definetally lower than dino 10w-30 (during starting and warmup).

Most OEMs allow for use of 10W-30 in milder climates - no colder than ~20 degrees F. For a long trip in spring or summer, I'd prefer the 10W-30 since the base oil starts out as a bit heavier viscosity, relying less on the viscosity index improver* to maintain "body" when fully warmed.

*Keep in mind that with a conventional oil, a 5W-30 oil depends on the VII to sustain a 25 point viscosity spread from cold to hot, whereas a 10W-30 only has to cover a 20 point spread. Fully warmed and at speed, expect slightly less oil consumption with the 10W-30 brew. VII is one of the first additives to deplete when running long, fully warmed, and at speed. A broad-viscosity spread synthetic oil will always hold up to heat and revs better than a similar viscosity-spread conventional oil. Running the A/C is also always added heat load. Get the syn-oil and enjoy your trip in air-conditioned comfort! (And that's coming from someone who routinely runs conventional motor oil in his car's engine!)

Like said above, once you are at the same operating temperature, it doesn't matter.
Actually, 0-30 M1 is slightly thicker than it's own 5-30 at operating temp - go figure.
I'd go for the easier flowing oils when cold [even a summer day has cold starts], but it won't make much difference for what you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back