Dexos1 Gen3 vs MB229.5 5w30 only spec called for

Hey BITOG community.
Nissan QR25DE and the only spec called for is API 5w30. No other specs listed. Car is used as a shopping trolley. Temps 10C to 35C (50F to 95F). Service interval is 10,000km (6,000miles).

I have both, a Dexos1 gen3 and MB229.5 in my stash (I believe both are gr3). Going forward, once all used up what are the pro’s and con’s of using either spec?

Is there a general preference for one over the other?

Cheers.

MB Freigabe 229.5 is one of the toughest specifications to meet. Will that make a difference in your application? With a 10,000 km drain interval, perhaps not. But if it's readily available, and you don't mind paying the extra for it, or find it at an affordable price, it might be worthwhile in the long run; particularly if something like NOACK <10% is something of interest.

That said, you could also consider extending your drains to 15,000 km to get the most out of the oil. I believe high sulfur levels are no longer a concern in Australian fuel, but I'm not sure if this series of engine is as tough on oil as the VQ engines.

Hey BITOG community.
Nissan QR25DE and the only spec called for is API 5w30. No other specs listed. Car is used as a shopping trolley. Temps 10C to 35C (50F to 95F). Service interval is 10,000km (6,000miles).

I have both, a Dexos1 gen3 and MB229.5 in my stash (I believe both are gr3). Going forward, once all used up what are the pro’s and con’s of using either spec?

Is there a general preference for one over the other?

Cheers.
Agree with others above, at a 6k interval you’re going to be just fine with either, but if you started going longer OCIs the MB spec would likely begin to show it’s better, because it’s spec’d for long intervals.

Back