SuperTech 5 quart jug versus 1 quart bottle USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that the 5 quart jugs are made by warren and that the smaller 1 quart jugs are made by Mobil, is this true?
In particualr what about the 0w30 and 5w30? I have never seen a 5 quart 0w30 BTW and I wonder why that is.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The "big gulp'" style - quart bottles of Supertech is made by Mobil.

Where did you hear of this? I am thinking of using it if true and verifable. I read it in on another forum, but I haven't been able to find out anything else.

It looks exactly like the Exxon Superflo bottle.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
It looks exactly like the Exxon Superflo bottle.
56.gif

Yep It dose around here.

I don't know that I'd automatically equate the bottle type to the oil inside it. Many things go into the decisions of companies regarding purchasing, specs, etc. Just because the bottle is the same shape as some other brand, does not mean the oil inside it is the same as well. I'm not saying it's not the same, I'm just saying it's a poor assumption to make. Perhaps the bottle manufacturer supplies both lubricant companies?

Another example would be the (now hard to find) Adanvance Auto Parts red grippy filters. They were made by Purolator, and they looked it, too. But as I recall the actuall media filter area (as counted by number of pleats) was down a bit compared to the standard Purolator.

Now, in both cases, that doesn't mean that the products are inferior because they are not the same, although they might be in same/similar packaging. It just indicates that sometimes the products are modified to meet a particular target market; content is changed up or down to make a price point. The product would function fine as long as it's used within it's designed and stated environment.

In other words, the shape of the container does not guarantee the content of the container. That doens't make it bad; just different, perhaps.

Last edited:
Some VOAs had XOM Supertech a hair's breath different from superflo or bulk mobil clean.

XOM started supplying WM after Katrina when everything was in a shambles. It's purely related to distribution logistics. In this instance I would highly doubt tankers would criss-cross the country to the "opposite" bottling plant.
wink.gif

I would definitely go by bottle shape. For a while 5w20 was "small gulp" shaped while everything else "big gulp" around here.

Here in NC (so far as I know) all the Supertech is Mobil, except for the 15w40 which is Shell. Bottle shape is a good indicator, but I go by smell.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back