Windows 7 has been announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me clarify that I have no problem with Microsoft. They have produced a lot of fine software. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing them. I do NOT hate Microsoft. I do like to have a choice, however.

I have used Vista, and don't think it is bad, but I do think it is significantly slower than earlier Windows releases. I prefer to use XP for my daily work, so I do. I am sure that if I had no choice I could live with Vista just fine, provided my hardware was up to snuff.

I admire many open source / free software projects out there. I have tried a few Linux desktops, they proved slower than any Microsoft Windows product. Linux shines more with server applications, IMO.

It would be nice if some large PC manufacturers offered their popular products without a MS Windows license, so those who are ready to use GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc, instead, don't have to pay for the OEM Windows license.

I know you can build your own computer from components, and thus skip the MS Windows license, but this isn't cost-effective unless you want special hardware, and I haven't bought a desktop this 21st century.

I think we would all be better off if there was more choice. It would be better for security also. If Windows was about 30%, Apple about 30%, and Linux about 30% for desktop systems we would all be in much better shape. I don't think competition is bad.

At one time I was very seriously considering Linux. I even ran a version of Linux for a while (actually, I have run a few versions of Linux including some other equipment). I guess the main thing that turned me off was that there never seemed to be the necessary hardware compatibility that I needed (photo printers, scanners, etc.).

But if Linux was smoother than it is right now and if we just had the necessary hardware compatibility I would definitely consider Linux. After all, what is not to like? You have free software like OpenOffice and GIMP, Linux is free or relatively low cost, and it can run on cheaper computers. Again it comes back to O/Ss just being technology. Once better technology comes along it is silly to stay with the older technology.

I have heard some potential bad news about OpenOffice. I have come across some reports that it may not be available too much longer, or at least not under continuing development much longer. And GIMP still is not a replacement for Photoshop. But if a person is using Linux you still can buy Star Office for less than Microsoft Office and there is special software to allow the running of Photoshop (older versions).

The big issue for me still comes down to hardware compatibility when it comes to Linux. And the hardware compatibility issues never seemed to get better and eventually I just gave up.

Linux certainly works fine for servers. I believe that bobistheoilguy.com runs on Linux.

I reinstalled Vista tonight. It's supposed to be 'easy'. It is. Upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. Vista even tells you that it will save the old version of C:\Windows.old. Very cool.

Other than Vista blowing away the ENTIRE C:\Users folder, all was well.

So what do you think of Vista? Personally myself I like Vista now and prefer it to Windows XP (although if I could afford that Mac Pro I might go back to using the Mac OS). When Vista first came out there were some issues with software/hardware compatibility but I suppose that happens with any new OS.

It does require a more powerful computer than XP but such a computer is still affordable. Now that Vista has been out for a while everything I have (software and hardware) will work with it. That is not true of Mac OS X-I have to run two OSs to get full compatibility and running two OSs on the same computer is actually kind of a hassle. But by running two OSs you do get the compatibility.

So which is better-Mac OS X or Vista? I simply don't know. I am still running both (plus XP on the iMac) and I really should decide on one. There are good and bad points about both. Half the time I feel Vista is actually better and half the time I feel Mac OS X is better.

But I definitely feel (I know) that Vista is a good OS. I have run it for a long time with no major issues and I can do the stuff I need to do. That is the truth and I value the truth and I will continue to tell what I feel is the truth no matter who attacks me.

But I will also say that Mac OS X is a nice, smooth and attractive OS that runs really well and at least right now does not have all of the security threats that Windows does. And it is kind of a hassle but being able to run Windows XP on the iMac is really a bonus. And from an emotional point of view (if that counts) I like Mac OS X better-but understand I do not dislike Vista.

Windows 7 ultimate ultimate SP1...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
It would be nice if some large PC manufacturers offered their popular products without a MS Windows license, so those who are ready to use GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc, instead, don't have to pay for the OEM Windows license.

I know you can build your own computer from components, and thus skip the MS Windows license, but this isn't cost-effective unless you want special hardware, and I haven't bought a desktop this 21st century.

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't MS have some sort of mandatory licensing agreement with venders that must be paid regardless of whether an MS OS is installed or not?

I like vista well enough on the desktop I buil from scratch. UAC is annoying, but it can be adjusted. I have had issues on all of my vista machines with getting an IP address after the computer goes to sleep. The MS knowledgebase article doesnt fix it. There is something wrong with it getting IP addresses on my and other networks.

Anyway, When I got my macbook pro, I put XP on it a dual boot. Should I have put Vista on? Probably. However, until we get to a point where XP is not suitable for doing things, and I HAVE to have Vista to do certain things, Ill not worry.

IMO, the biggest issue is that OEMs like to sell other software and put lots of trial stuff into the computers. Take vista, an OS that does have a slightly larger utilization of resources, couple it with processers that are effectively "last gen", and then put all sorts of other software onto the computer, and what do you expect?

Im 1 for 2. The computer I built with vista runs great, smooth and fast, the sony laptop I bought with vista is a dog most of the time, even with most everything turned off...

JMH

Vista was a stop-gap release for Blackcomb anyways. Blackcomb took a LOT longer to be ready for prime time than initially expected. That is why things like WinFS and the like were not part of Vista.

Well, though I've seen a functional demonstration of it, I don't know if it will actually debut with Blackcomb.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back