DIY Video: Magnefine Power Steering Filter Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My friend who owns a 2001 GS300 was experiencing some power steering problems. There were all sorts of noises and it really just sounded like the power steering pump was [censored] out.

I recommended for him to flush the power steering fluid as a first step, and then take it from there. He decided to go ahead and have me install a Magnefine power steering filter for him and I'm not sure if it was the flush or the filter, but the end result is a very well operating power steering system with no noise :)

http://eturkov.blogspot.com/2008/10/diy-2001-lexus-gs300-magnefine-power.html

Originally Posted By: oravla
Nice video. It is always fun to do this kind experiments.
I didn't know that kind of filters, what is their generic name? are they easy to find?

I wish I knew the answers to those questions :) They aren't too expensive though at $20 shipped and they last for many years and lots of miles.

Is that the exact same filter as the Magnafine transmission filter?

PS: I would think that a flush and fluid change (without installing the filter) would have solved his problems.

Originally Posted By: pbm

PS: I would think that a flush and fluid change (without installing the filter) would have solved his problems.

Yes, I believe it is the same filter. Why do you think just a flush would've resolved the issue?

A filter only keeps the fluid clean after you have flushed (or start with clean fluid). It's the clean fluid that affects performance. The 1st instance of driving will not foul the fluid immediately to negatively affect the performance. Long-term, yes, the filter was a good idea.

What fluid was in the system & what fluid was used after? I haven't been able to watch the video yet so sorry if that is said in the video.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
A filter only keeps the fluid clean after you have flushed (or start with clean fluid). It's the clean fluid that affects performance. The 1st instance of driving will not foul the fluid immediately to negatively affect the performance. Long-term, yes, the filter was a good idea.

What fluid was in the system & what fluid was used after? I haven't been able to watch the video yet so sorry if that is said in the video.

Just plain old chevron ATF

Originally Posted By: bythabay
Originally Posted By: pbm

Yes, I believe it is the same filter. Why do you think just a flush would've resolved the issue?

I think the fact that the improvements were seen immediately after the new fluid was installed proves that old, worn out fluid was causing the problems. The new filter will keep the new fluid clean and help it to last longer but I don't see how the filter would have anything to do with 'immediate' results.
Having said this I would like to install a filter on my PS system for 'long term' benefits.

Expect the power steering to take a larger size filter than the automatic transmission...meaning a larger hose connection size. My car uses 5/16" on the transmission and 3/8" on the PS. My truck uses 3/8" on the transmission and 1/2" (7/16" would fit better but isn't made) on the steering.

I'd use a synthetic ATF. It'll be resistant to oxidation longer. For those in cold winter climates, syn ATF will also put less load on the steering parts before warming.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Expect the power steering to take a larger size filter than the automatic transmission...meaning a larger hose connection size. My car uses 5/16" on the transmission and 3/8" on the PS. My truck uses 3/8" on the transmission and 1/2" (7/16" would fit better but isn't made) on the steering.

I'd use a synthetic ATF. It'll be resistant to oxidation longer. For those in cold winter climates, syn ATF will also put less load on the steering parts before warming.

I did use Amsoil ATF in my G35, but I ran out before this guy came by, so we just used the regular stuff. I would agree the way to go, especially when you have a nice filter in place, is to use a full synthetic.

X2
grin2.gif

A flush with 2 quarts of ATF is far cheaper than a $25 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back