GM Power Steering Noise

OP, if your pump uses regular ATF, Valvoline MaxLife ATF has been a really good replacement in mine- just buy a gallon, jack up the front of the car and leave the wheels hanging. Take the return line off your reservoir, and stick it into a collection vessel; have a helper start the car and spin the wheel back and forth while you pour new fluid into the reservoir. Keep pouring new fluid in til the discharge is the same color as the new fluid; stop the car and replace the return line. Start the car back up, have the helper spin the wheel again and top the fluid up in the reservoir, and then finish with 5-10 more lock-to-lock spins of the wheel to get any air out of the system. This is by far the easiest way to properly “flush” PS fluid.
It doesn't use ATF. Just standard (hydraulic?) PS fluid. The noise is still there but I think the alternator is more of a suspect now.

It doesn't use ATF. Just standard (hydraulic?) PS fluid. The noise is still there but I think the alternator is more of a suspect now.
“Many” systems use ATF, but it is also packaged as PS fluid so they can sell you smaller sizes for larger dollar amounts. I forgot… what was your application?

A nice thick case ground from the alternator to a sanded spot on the frame can work wonders. I did a multipoint ground attachment on my Subaru to try to reduce the galvanic corrosion on the HGs and it also cleared up a small ignition stumble and some noise on the radio.

“Many” systems use ATF, but it is also packaged as PS fluid so they can sell you smaller sizes for larger dollar amounts. I forgot… what was your application?

A nice thick case ground from the alternator to a sanded spot on the frame can work wonders. I did a multipoint ground attachment on my Subaru to try to reduce the galvanic corrosion on the HGs and it also cleared up a small ignition stumble and some noise on the radio.
Application is light duty truck. Occasional hauling. I have thought about upgrading the ground from the alternator. I have an old spool of some nice number 2 or 4 welding cable.

I have Maxlife atf in my 93's ps pump and it is quiet. I would never put the Lucas in again as it made a horrible noise at startup after I tried it. I jacked the front end up and pulled the return line and had my wife help with turning the wheel with the engine off. While I kept the reservoir topped off to flush the old ps fluid and Lucas off. Now I just siphon the reservoir and fill w new Maxlife at every oil change.

Back