What oil does HONDA dealerships use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda dealer told me they used CITGO oil. I replied that I would not be needing there Chavez oil in the future.

Every Honda dealership uses something different. Some use OEM Honda oil, some use Valvoline, some use Pennzoil, etc. It just depends on the dealership.

In the Toronto area one dealer uses Valvoline and another dealer just north of the city uses PetroCanada ,
so I would say it is true that whatever is the cheapest/best deal they can get from any bulk oil supplier

From what I know from talking to various car dealerships. Their sales and service seems to be more of an entrepreneurial run it the way you want to in order to make your profit. I recently watched a video on Youtube of the GM higher ups Mike Davidson and Bob Lutz discussing the Chevy Volt and they were discussing how it will likely need less service and might not cater to the service departments with less brake jobs but that there might be different ways to get a few bucks such as when the gas goes bad in the tank because some people might just drive purely off of that 40 mile range for months at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBZ0B2dAvA

What oil do Honda dealers use?

Most likely, the cheapest API certified oil from whomever wins the contract bid.

Why would they do otherwise when, with one exception, Honda engines have no special oil requirements?

Perhaps an Acura dealer would have some special oil in stock for the RDX.

The Honda dealer here used Valvoline last time I noticed. I never used their services for an OC.

Ashland (Valvoline) has some headquarters in town here too. Probably some product research facilities.

Honda dealerships fill their bulk container with whatever they can get cheap, but the engine oil in the parts department is a XOM product.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The least expensive bulk oil they can buy.

x2 Quaker State SE Fla area

Always though it odd they did not force the use of Honda OIL like they push all other fluids

I'm guessing that the reason they don't push it is because every Honda owner's manual states to use API engine oil and many Honda engines go for ages on whatever API oil is out there. However, many Honda power steering systems quickly develop seal failures when generic PSF goes into them.

On the shelves at the service dept, I saw only 10-30 Honda oil. I asked if they used this in the TL which says 5-20 on the cap and the answer was yes. Probably not a bad idea in my climate with winters rarely hitting freezing and summers well over 100.

The Acura dealership here claims to use OEM Honda oil for their oil changes, but the local Honda dealership uses Valvoline, IIRC. Like I said above though, it varies from location to location.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: harley145000
Most likely they use 5w30 for everything.

I agree. Most likely 5W-30 in BULK because it is cheap.
So, check your owner's manual to make sure they are using the correct viscosity grade.

If your car requires 0W-20 or 5W-20, you may want to specifically ask the dealership to use the correct oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back