Best 4 cycle small engine oil for any price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been doing alot of reading in this forum and others about what the 'best' oil might be for 3 of my small engines. Price is not an object due to the small amounts needed. I'd rather know I'm running the most protective thing than the best deal.

The only concern I have is availability. I want to be able to drive to a store and buy it. I want to be able to have this discussion with other people, convince them with data gained here and have them drive to a store and buy it. Mail order is not an option. I recognize that it is a prevailing opinion that the premier oils in the world have to be purchased this way and while that is a perfectly valid opinion that's not a view point I'm here to discuss. If that's your opinion, then what's the "next best thing?" I'll run anything from RP to GC to PP to M1 to RTS to anything else I can buy... Even an oil plus an additive. Just convince me it's the best.

Currently I'm using Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 but (obviously) I'm not married to it. It has performed well for me, however. Keep in mind that I am in southeast Texas so potential ambient temperatures here range from fairly cold (+30F) to extremely hot (+110F).

Here are the candidate engines. They are all Briggs and Stratton.

*8 HP powering a 4KW generator. Aluminum block. Used extensively through 'Ike.' This is a mid to late 80's model with less than 150 total hours on it. Stored in a controlled environment - practically new. Fresh oil has been in it continually for the last 20 odd years.

*3.75 HP motor built from new old stock parts. Basically an early 90's Sprint. It's on a 1960's era thick cast aluminum 24" deck with steel ball bearing wheels. Has the potential to last forever. About 30 hours on it.

*1.5 HP 1953 Model 6S with a solid iron block which is in the process of being refurbished. It's used on an edger. I bought it in terrible condition now it starts with one pull. Fortunately, it was never used much and the interior is still practically new. Very good compression. This unit has at least a decade left on it and I've got the spare parts to keep it in repair for the foreseeable future.

Like I say, don't worry about price. Availability and pure overkill are names of the game here.

amsoil ACD. synthetic 10w-30 that has no VIIs, so it is technically a straight 30wt. Best of both worlds it seems...

It has a diesel add pack that is good and strong, so it will protect and keep things clean.

JMH

That's interesting - a 10w-30 that's really a 30. I really like what I've read about Amsoil's products and I know them to be outstanding in almost every application, but it is essential that I be able to buy it off a shelf. What comes close?

I know I've seen many varieties of Shaeffer's and Lucas' on plenty of shelves around town... Does Amsoil ever put their products out for sale anywhere or is it strictly a Representative/Web Based type deal?

You could tr the site sponsors - their level of professionalism and knowledge is far above that of many of the Amsoil dealers out there.

There usually are many auto parts stores, service shops, etc. in an area that are also resellers. In an area like Houston, Im sure there are hundreds, if not more.

Thanks for the info. If I can find a reliable source around here I'll be giving it a try for sure. It's a shame such good products are so costly to obtain. If you want the best you have to pay to play and I realize that, but it kills me to pay shipping and handling fees on a commodity as common as motor oil. It's the principal of the thing I suppose.

Try a motorcycle and/or marine engine shop. Many of them sell Amsoil products for small engines.

Personally for me, in any small engine which calls for a 30 wt. oil, (German-made) Castrol Syntec 0w30 is my first choice. Amsoil would be my second choice, only because it is generally more expensive.

Naturally, I looked in my telephone book and all I found were home addresses. As I said in the original post, I won't pay shipping, I won't pay 'fees' and - something I am trying to treat tactfully but am adamant about - I will not support multilevel marketing systems. I do not and will not support this business model. No offense.

I am very thankful to Amsoil for being a site sponsor and as I've said I have no problem with their products, I only wish to be able to buy them as I would buy any other oil.

So, to be a little more clear, I'd like to hear about oils you can buy or order through Stores like AAP, AZ, CarQuest, Napa, Wal-Mart, Sears, O'reilly or similar.

Thank you, I had considered GC... Do you use it yourself? I was unsure about the low initial starting weight. Ihad thought that in a splash lubricated engine something that started out thicker might be the way to go, but I could see the opposite being true as well.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Thank you, I had considered GC... Do you use it yourself? I was unsure about the low initial starting weight. Ihad thought that in a splash lubricated engine something that started out thicker might be the way to go, but I could see the opposite being true as well.

I use GC in my John Deere riding lawn mower. Not sure what you mean by "low initial starting weight". GC is (pretty much) just as thick as 5w30 or 10w30 oils at everything from room temp. to operating temp. Only in very cold climates is there any real difference.

then GC or RTS 5w40 would be my choices.

At first you wanted the best, bar none, then a severe change to only store-bought oil? If you really wanted the best, and cost is no objective like in your OP, I doubt that $10 on a case is a real killer.

Home addresses would be because they are small, individual businesses? Why not deal with the small guy? Sometimes service and assistance is better.

Anyway, yeah, id go for German-made GC or RTS then. M1 10w-30 is also a good option. Beyond that, Id be looking at 10w-30 HDEOs and straight 30wt oils.

JMH

JMH,
What I stated verbatim in my OP was:

"I want to be able to drive to a store and buy it. ... Mail order is not an option."

I don't think that last reply was too severe of a change. I was just trying to get back on topic.

Wayne,
I was half awake when I wrote that reply... sorry. I was concerned about the wateriness, so to speak, of the oil at startup, but now that I've thought about it and taken a second look at the spec of GC, I don't think it would be a problem. It wouldn't be rated A3/B3 if it was weak.

JMH,
Until the last few weeks M1 10W-30 has been the only thing in the generator's engine. It's what my Father in law, the previous owner, runs in everything ever since there was a Mobil1. It sounds good to me, but I like the weight and protection of the RTS as well. Thanks for those suggestions.

Blokey,
I haven't looked much at MaxCycle - always interesting to research a new oil - thanks.

Keep 'em coming guys, this is interesting. I hadn't expected such a consensus about GC...

I got your point, and it was a mis-read on my part. My focus was on this:
"Like I say, don't worry about price"

The only difference between availability and non availability is the UPS man. If price is no object, then the $10 isnt a big deal. Heck, you could have it overnighted to you, so you'd have it next day.

money is no object makes most things possible...

That said, given that M1 is in there, why change? I havent seen any results, but their 10w-40 might be low/no VIIs, and not shear down, plus give you that bit more viscosity. Similarly delvac 1 or mobil 1 truck and suv, you'd be all set too. Still, RTS is likely the best bang for the buck.

JMH

Well, suffice it to say that I just have some very strong viewpoints about that business model and if it only cost a dollar/qt with $.50 overnight shipping I still wouldn't buy it that way. However, I'd spend $10-12/qt off the shelf without a second thought. For me, it would be 'selling out' my beliefs (or in this case, 'buying out' I suppose).

As far as the M1 goes, I'm scared of the 30 shearing down. Some of the high iron I've seen in UOAs turn me off as well. 10W-40 is another idea worth looking into. Maybe even the 0W-40 M1, though I don't know very much about it... I've looked everywhere for Delvac 1, but I haven't seen it around anywhere yet.

Everybody loves their RTS, and that's another one I have trouble finding. I know I've seen it a few places, it would just be a question of finding it again.

Thanks again for all your input and I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh last time. It's just that this oil is serious business! (kidding)
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back