Best 4 cycle small engine oil for any price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Wal-mart I've been in carries HDEO, usually Rotella, but they also carry another brand. I can't recall which.
It may be the conventional version of Delvac, but I didn't stop to look that close.

Funny you should write that - I just got back from Wal-Mart and they had 2 quarts of RTS way in the back. One was the CJ-4 and one was the CI-4 Plus. I bought them both. I don't know which is better, I'm thinking CI-4+ for this application, but I don't know.

Also, the only other HDEO they had was Delvac 1300

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know which is better

Truthfully, nobody else here knows either, making this thread useless. I would stick to your guns: not use multi-level marketing products AND follow the practices of your father-in-law. You won't be any better or worse off.

Sorry for the cynicism.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Quote:
I don't know which is better

Truthfully, nobody else here knows either, making this thread useless. I would stick to your guns: not use multi-level marketing products AND follow the practices of your father-in-law. You won't be any better or worse off.

Sorry for the cynicism.

Not at all, I appreciate your honesty. You might be (and likely are) right. This is just a fun hobby. After all, where else can I get opinions from potentially thousands of knowledgeable people about lawnmower oil. I guess I'll count this as another endorsement of M1 10W-30.
grin2.gif

Ok, so here's the status of my search: I'm creating a big spreadsheet with specs and certifications for all the oils mentioned thus far. In the interest of fairness and honesty, Amsoil ACD will be included. After all, others may want to consider it and I'd like to know what I'm potentially missing. Once I'm done I should be able to make a more educated decision. I'll be happy to add any other oils to the sheet, so if you want to see a comparison between the oils already mentioned and another of your choice, post it up! Once complete, I'll try and find a way to either host either the original document or a picture of it here for all to see.
Hopefully we can all gain something from this.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got the 9000 and 7000 in 5W-40 and 15W-40 respectively.

I have the spreadsheet in .pdf, .jpg, .xls, and .gnumeric formats. I'm going to try and get the picture up...

Oils-1.jpg

This is a very large image. If you're having trouble seeing it, right click the picture above, select "Save Image As" then save it to your desktop and view it from there. You may have to zoom in some to read the print.

So there you have it. I don't think my beliefs about business models are causing me to miss out on much at all. Given this information, what do you think is the best choice?

This involved quite a lot of effort to get all the numbers. I'd say 90% are from the manufacturer's websites. The other part was filled in from VOAs on this and other sites. I only included those data that I felt to be pertinent, so some of the oil's qualities and specific engine manufacturer's endorsements were left off. I was unable to get a couple specs on a couple oils - those are marked with a [?].

The thread is about THE best oil at ANY price.

I think Motul (GRP-V Syn) multi-vis 30wt or 40wt is the hands down winner.

http://www.motorspotstore.com/moraoi.html

Redline 10W-30 2nd.

Amsoil 10W-30 ASE 3rd.

Just based on base-stock and anti-wear levels alone.

Mobil-1 15W-50 is a "lighter" multi-vis 50wt and since mowers shear oil down a lot..a very good contender as well.

I would pick the HDEO of your choice which is easy to get whether dino or syn and feel good about the choice as any will do a great job at protecting your equipment.

Who sells this stuff off a shelf? Specs look pretty decent and basestock doesn't get much better than that... I mean if I'm talking about 6.50/qt what's another couple bucks, right?

Anybody with a line of oils called "X-Cess" seems good for this thread. I can't find HT/HS, but with a V stock it can't be bad.

Last edited:
This thread was supposed to be about finding the ultimate excess product no matter the price.

The link a couple posts prior shows astore where you can get Motul

I think Motul is the only 100% GRP V oil left?

Anyone have a VOA of Motul products>?

Last edited:
OK, so in if I was in europe I could by Motul off the shelf, right? Also, what about Lubro Moly? I know a place where I can buy it retail and you want to talk about expensive... Wow.

I'll try to get an addendum with all the newly mentioned oils up by tonight. This is getting good.

Nothing exceeds like excess!
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back