What AR-15 to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been waiting quite awhile to add an AR-15 to my collection, but I am torn as to which brand.

I have it narrowed down to Bushmaster, DPMS, and Rock River. Colt's are too much money, so they are out.

I want a plain jane model. I want the 16" chrome lined barrel, carry handle, and no optics. I do not want a flat top.

Any owner's care to share some knowledge. My top criteria is reliablity and accuracy for the money.

I have found some very inexpensive new DPMS Ar's that are going for 700 bucks (NIB).

It's a lot of money for an AR and I just want something that is going to last.

Rock River Arms.

I sold my Bushmaster to buy the Rock River and I have no regrets. Much nicer, more reliable, and strong value for the $$ than Colt (way too many quality control problems in the past two years).

No personal experience with DPMS.

I can't complain about my Bushmaster. Been great with no problems in the 3 years I've had it. I also see that Smith and Wesson makes a nice at a great price,you-can get them at Cabellas or Bass Pro )can't remember which one, think Cabellas).

bushmasterar152gb9.jpg

These are my 5 Bushmasters. All run great! The gun second from the right is the Heavy Barreled M-4 with A-1 sights. It's a very dependable gun, and priced around $725.00, give or take. If you buy one get it from Davidsons, http://www.galleryofguns.com They carry the full Bushmaster line, and any gun you buy from them comes with a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty for as long as you own it. You can buy it on line and they will ship it to your local dealer. They have most all of them in stock, and it only takes 3 days or less to get it. Bushmaster builds a nice, accurate rifle. Bill T.

Thanks for the tip to Davidsons. I went ahead and already ordered a Bushmaster E2S earlier. Got it for 918 bucks out the door price.

Not too bad. Can't wait to try it out. It will be quite a difference compared to my current mini-14 that I use.

I wish I woulda saw this yesterday... Ida told you rock river all the way. If you've ever shot a Bushmaster, then a Rock River, the trigger difference is night and day!! I've had both, and now have Rock River. Plus its a high quality gun. I had a bad load (dad's load don't ask) with a double powder charge, and it blew the magazine out and bent the firing pin, but the bolt and rest of the gun was completley undamaged. Several of the guys at the range said they'd seen the same thing happen with a bushmaster and it ruined the barrel and bolt.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Don't buy one unless it has a gas piston. It mostly solves the largest issue the AR-15 design has.

Which brands use the gas piston? How does one find out if a particular black rifle has this upgrade?

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Don't buy one unless it has a gas piston. It mostly solves the largest issue the AR-15 design has.

Which brands use the gas piston? How does one find out if a particular black rifle has this upgrade?

There are a few out there. NONE are standardized so if something breaks you had better hope the company is still around, plus it adds weight. There is nothing wrong with standard gas system as it is simply a standardized SS tube with NO moving parts.

RRA, Bushmaster Colt Armlight, etc,etc.

Never had a gas problem with any of my Ar type rifles, homemade or bought,

Gas piston Ar is a fix for a non-problem.

Originally Posted By: Gregory
Gas piston Ar is a fix for a non-problem.

It is a problem. A big problem. It's the source of most jams in the sandbox because it makes the lubricant evaporate, and deposits carbon that causes more friction. Gas piston guns are also far easier to clean.

Check ar15.com's equipment exchange and gunbroker.com for what is selling, at what price.

The ar15 is modular. You may fit, almost any different manufacturer of uppers and lowers together, some fit better together, than others.

The design is simple and it works, but dirty. Clean it. Pistons are definitely cleaner and optimal in my opinion. The AR15 DI gas operation is ok, for most semi-suto uses, with a good cleaning and maintenance program. Keep it wet, with good lubrication.

I own a Stag lower and DPMS 7.62x39mm upper. Two different manufacturers, and the fit is just as good, as my complete Bushmaster .556.

Remember, you can build an AR15 with the best or good parts, from many arms vendors in the industry. Take your time, build what you want, need, and the price you like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Captain Howdy
I just bought this Ruger Mini 14 NRA edition .223 cal., w/2 20 round magazines a few months agao, but I haven't had a chance to fire it yet.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/369/products_id/54586

picture15kp3.jpg

dsc00032qj8.jpg

dsc00029og5.jpg

This is my Ruger Mini 14 NRA Edition I picked up a few months ago. I mounted a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X 40MM on it with a Mil-Dot Reticle. The gun runs beautifully, and isn't half bad in the accuracy dept. for a Mini 14. Bill T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back