PCV Valve and Sludge Toyota 1MZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ls1mike, that's a pretty cool setup. I tried it on my truck and just couldn't get enough air flow through that element. When I went to the Condensator brand air/oil seperator, I haven't had a prob since. It collects quite a bit of oil.

My only question is this. Is there any benefit to having the oil actually go into the intake? Does it lubricate anything like valves, cylinder walls, or does it make the air/fule mixture burn hotter? I can't seem to find any definitive info about this.

Well, I have HP Tuners for the Trans Am(lets you see, change all engine functions and then some) with the oil present from the PCV system it would pull back the timing and you could see it in the wide band 02 sensor as leaning it out.
With the catch can in place no pulling back timing and a nice A/F with my Cam and even if I hit the Juice it stays good and rich.
As far as the oil lubricating. I don't know. Maybe in a car that dosen't have all my mods it may be a good thing. I would doubt it though.

That makes sense. On my truck I just don't have the ability to see or change engine functions, so hearing first hand about it actually making a difference is very helpful. Since installing mine, I noticed a tad more power and just a slight mpg increase, but with a lead foot, it all balances out I guess.

Quote:
A self draining setup might be useful. How would you set it up so that it remains a closed system...maybe some sort of one way check valve?

You just put this in line with your suction hose. The stuff loses so much velocity that any liquid drops out. It may percolate a bit ..but "so?". Turn off the engine and it drains back to the valve cover.

It's the same thing as this in effect, but has the drain back feature. This just has a baffle to make it more compact and it requires draining periodically.

filterrm2.jpg

You could run the drain on this full time back to the valve cover too. The pressure on the inlet and the drain would be equalized and you would end up with a static column of oil. The flow would find it easier to be induced through one or the other ..but it's not going to lift a column of oil as opposed to just getting sucked in through the top (inlet). You're creating a still well.

My daughter drives our '99 v6 sludger.
It's a dirty motor.
I clean the TB and change the PVC twice a year.
I have used ARX for years.
Flush and maintenance doses.
I never let it go over 3k oci.
I checked the oil this am.
1600 and looked good.
99200 on the odo.Mostly city miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back