02 Dodge CTD, Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40, 5300 mile UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my sixth oil analysis on a vehicle that I’ve owned since new; I welcome any comments. The vehicle is a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500HD Quad Cab with a Cummins 5.9 liter, 24 valve, turbo engine and auto tranny. The truck is driven about 65-35 stop & go and freeway. The truck is not used for towing or racing. The oil filter used is a Donaldson ELF full flow with no bypass filtration. The lab was Oil Analyzers Inc. and their analysis recommendation was no corrective action required, oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval. This is the first sample in which I had to add make-up oil. The truck had an oil leak at the rear of the pan which I resolved by tightening the pan bolts to the specified torque. The oil & filter have been in use for 8 months. I plan to go 12 months and then change both. This is the first time I've used this oil. Previous oil was Amsoil HDD 5w-30 and it was in for 10 months and 9400 miles.

SAMPLE NUMBER 6
OIL USED MOBIL
DV1 5W40
SAMPLE DATE 04/26/08
TIME ON SAMPLE 8 mths
MILES ON SAMPLE 5313
MILES ON TRUCK 60735
MAKE-UP OIL 16 ozs
IRON 13
CHROMIUM 0
LEAD 3
COPPER 16
TIN 0
ALUMINUM 1
NICKEL 0
SILVER 0
SILICON 4
BORON 56
SODIUM 2
MAGNESIUM 491
CALCIUM 2816
BARIUM 0
PHOSPHORUS 1284
ZINC 1551
MOLYBDENUM 0
TITANIUM 0
VANADIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
FUEL (% VOL) 0.5
VIS @ 40C , cSt n/a
VIS @ 100 C, cSt 13.3
WATER SOOT/SOLIDS (% WT) 0.1
COOLANT NO
TBN 10.1
OXID 14.0
NITR 12.0
F-SOOT CHANGED NO

I forgot to mention in the above UOA that the Mobil Delvac 1 is 2005 vintage. I bought 6 gallons from a friend of mine back then and recently decided to start using it before its' 5 year shelf life ends.

Everything I've seen from any info and reports I can find is that 5 years is a "general guideline" If you kept the oil for 6 or 7, I'm sure your results would be just as good as if the oil was newer. Nice uoa from a fellow Cummins owner...

D-Roc - I got the five year "shelf life" number off of the Mobil web site last year. Since it came from Mobil, I assumed that 5 years was the magic number. Of course, I don't know the actual mfg. date of the oil - it's CI4+ and I assumed that it was made sometime in 2004 or 05. Yes, I thought the UOA was very good considering the way the truck is driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back