jeep 4.0 calls for 10w 30 draw back to using 5w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 3 cars and I would like to use the same (mobile 1) oil in all of them. The civic and 4runner both call for 5w 30 and the jeep calls for 10w 30. I am just not sure if I would have in problems down the line from running the 5w 30 in the jeep. the jeep has about 100,000 miles on it and it might get 5000 miles a year put on it.

No problem really especialy with synthetics all the XW30's are preety much interchangeable. If this is a the I6 instead of the V6 what they really like is a 5W40 but that is another story for another thread!

Use the 5W-30 and don't think of it again, especially with that minimal mileage. I have a co-worker who has the 4.0 in a '95 Grand Cherokee. It's seen its fair share of fast lube 5W-30 and has somewhere north of 260K miles on it. I would imagine you'll never know the difference.

The Jeep straight six shows better wear numbers with a thick 30W or even a good 40W oil.It will live with just about any oil to be honest here but shows lower UOA's numbers with the thicker oils.The first number of the oil weight is the winter rating so the last number is the one to look at.Then we spin off to Cst's and all that and it gets complicated
crazy2.gif

I'd use the M1 EP in the Jeep. It's a little more dense than the regular M1. I'd run 1 year ocis and change it every Fall,but that's just me.

Use any oil you want. You'll never know the difference. Even neglected, these engines are very hard to mortally wound. The 10w-30 recommendation has a PREFERRED after it. The 5w-30 should fit into your driving scheme (if it makes you feel better).

Quote:
the jeep has about 100,000 miles on it and it might get 5000 miles a year put on it.

How is this 5k accumulated? Biased mainly to one season, or lots of infrequent shorter trips?

Heck the new Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 says to be used where 5W-30 and 10W-30 are recommended.

Heck the even recommend the 0W-30 while under warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: novaracer69
I am running 5-20 in my 95jeep gc right now! it seems to have more pep. and is quiet. oil pressure is 70lbs cold and 60 hot at idle.

Another candidate for 0w-10 oils
grin2.gif
You've got plenty of "room" for lower visc stuff.

oonesojourner could use a 5w-20 too ..but it's a hard sell.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I am running 5-20 in my 95jeep gc right now! it seems to have more pep. and is quiet. oil pressure is 70lbs cold and 60 hot at idle.

Another candidate for 0w-10 oils
grin2.gif
You've got plenty of "room" for lower visc stuff.

oonesojourner could use a 5w-20 too ..but it's a hard sell.
i just dont think this old think would let motor oil stop it. runs great always have 144xxx miles and counting. i put bigger tires on it and 2" lift and my mpg went into the chiter. i am just trying to get some mpg back. my wife uses the zj to haul the kids around to baseball pratice and school.

If I had to use just one visc it would be 5w-30. If the I6 Jeep was mine it would get 10w-40.

Is it really that big of problem that you can't buy 5qts of 10w40 once a year?

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
If I had to use just one visc it would be 5w-30. If the I6 Jeep was mine it would get 10w-40.

Is it really that big of problem that you can't buy 5qts of 10w40 once a year?

You can throw any 5 quarts of oil in there from 30WT, 40WT, 40WT HDEO, 50WT and those iron clads are hard to kill.

Uhhh, you might want to get that checked out.

The only drawback I had using 5w30 in my '88 Cherokee with the 4.0 was that the hotter the weather, the worse the hot oil pressure later in an oil changes life. Synthetic or Dino, I generally noted a hot cruise oil pressure 10 psi lower than when running a 10w30 or 5w40. Not so noticeable early in the run, more so later in the run.

Honestly, it may not matter, but I ended up going back to and sticking with 10w30 in the summer. Not that big of a deal to get 6 quarts for an oil change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back