Redline D6 ATF for Dex VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody swapped their GM auto tranny calling for the new Dex VI over to Redline D6 ATF? If so what are your thoughts? Any issues? As the D6 is a universal, or "multi-use" fluid not a specific Dex VI I am curious if there are issues. I imagine it boils down to it meets or exceeds all the performance spec's but just doesn't contain that special additive pack. I did a search( before someone tells me to do that )and came up empty.

I have always run Royal Purple MaxATF but their fluid apparantly doesn't meet the new Dex VI spec's. So I am looking elsewhere. Redline has always been my 2nd choice behind RP. At this time I am undecided between Redline D6 ATF and Valvoline DEXRON-VI ATF.

Thanks for any input.

This is what Redline has to say about it. I would expect it would work fine:

Synthetic D6 ATF is suitable for use in the new Dexron VI applications, Mercon SP, or Toyota WS fluids are recommended. The D6 ATF is a lower viscosity version of
the D4ATF and is designed for better fuel efficiency in CAFE testing. Dexron VI requires a different approach to conventional ATF formulation. Rather than beginning
with a 7.5 cSt fluid and allowing a viscosity loss in use to drop to 5.5 cSt, the Dexron VI fluid requires a starting viscosity of less than 6.4 and a final drop to no less than
5.5 cSt. Red Line D6 will drop to no less than 6.1 cSt. Since the final viscosity after use of these fluids are similar, Dexron VI fluids can be used where Dexron III fluids
were previously recommended

I read that. I tend not to put a lot of stock in what these mfg's say however. I prefer unbiased real world reviews over mfg propaganda.

Thanks though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redline D6 is not a DEXRON-VI appoved fluid nor is it even approveable and before anyone starts talking about 'exceeding' specs let me point out that it's not possible to 'exceed' a requirement that is not even met in the first place.

Valvoline however do have a genuine approved DEXRON-VI fluid. Since there are now over 40 branded products that are approved against DEXRON-VI requirements you should be able to find a real one.

What requirement isn't being met by DexronVI, other then stoopid licensing approval? Enough of the doubletalk.

If you want to use the Redline D6 or Amsoil ATF in place of DexronVI, go right ahead.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
What requirement isn't being met by DexronVI, other then stoopid licensing approval? Enough of the doubletalk.

If you want to use the Redline D6 or Amsoil ATF in place of DexronVI, go right ahead.

The issue would be that to be certified as a true Dex VI, or qualify as a Dex VI for warranrty purposes, the fluid would need to contain that special additive pack. I doubt Redline D6 does. As I said originally my belief is it meets or exceeds all the performance spec's of Dex VI despite what some may say but does not contain that special additive and THAT is the issue. Doesn't mean it won't work or anything just means it is missing a component to be a true Dex VI.

I am a pretty firm believer in making sure I use the required fluids while my vehicle is under warranty. I do not believe you have to only use the car mfg's approved fluids though. Lot's of fluids can meet requirements and not be certified( example is Royal Purple oil meeting GM6094M even though not certified or approved by GM ). I agree the certification process is a bit of a joke. Just a way for the car mfg to make money.

I don't like to use OEM fluids and parts. Just never have. Sold them too many years. I have brands I like and trust and prefer to use those. I am leary of the Redline based on the additive issue. Just curious if anyone here has run it in a Dex VI tranny and had problems or been fine?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
If you've been running RP MaxATF in this AT, going to Redline D6 won't be any more of an issue. You can always do UOAs and compare.

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear on this. I am asking as I am ready to change the fluid in my new truck = 07 NBS Silverado. It calls for Dex VI. Have run RP MaxATF in all my previous trucks and cars. RP themselves says they do not offer a Dex VI fluid however. Hence my search for something else.

Well, there are plenty of DEXRON-VI fluids to choose from. Over 40 brands from companies such as Castrol, Petro-Canada, Citgo, Kendal, 76, Chevron, Valvoline, Shell, Allegheny, Schaeffer, as well as AC Delco, to name just a few

WHitewolf,

What makes you think the additive pack hasn't been analyzed and duplicated via analytical chemistry?

I'm sure that people have tried. However, as you well know there are not that many additive companies in the world able to formulate ATF additives, let alone successful ones. I'm sure you'll realise that simple, or even complicated, chemical analysis does not reveal equivalent performance. Chemical equivalence does not mean performance equivalence. As I have observed in the past, when working for an additive company, in trying to substitute one chemically equivalent component for another it doesn't always work! Does that answer your question?

You might like to consider why it is that there is still only one additive package approved for DEXRON-VI, when there are several additive companies who perhaps are trying to achieve that goal?

Let me know if you need any help with any other queries, I'm always happy to oblige.

Or, you can flip the coin. Its even possible to produce an additive that works 'BETTER' then the required additive.

If RL/Ams are your brand choices, then feel free to use them.

I don't understand why there would be any advantage by using Redline over the GM DexVI since both are about the same price?

It will require higher quality base stocks, and the fluid itself will have to be more shear stable,” said Craig Paterson, product manager with Lubrizol Corp.’s ATF segment in Wickliffe, Ohio. “We believe it will take a little bit longer to gain approval, due to the additional tests. There will be a definite increase in costs.”

Changes also have been made to the licensing program. Rather than licensing fluids directly, GM will license chemistries that meet the specification's requirements, leaving it to additive companies to issue sub-licenses for approved finished fluids. Afton, currently the only company with an approved chemistry, said it will not charge separate licensing fees. GM charges an annual fee of $3,000 per product under the old program.

Originally Posted By: N2OIL
Before you oblige someone in your wealth of knowledge.... you might first figure out they know.

I can assure you that WhiteWolf is very credible regarding Dexron-VI, if that's what you're wondering.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: N2OIL
Before you oblige someone in your wealth of knowledge.... you might first figure out they know.

I can assure you that WhiteWolf is very credible regarding Dexron-VI, if that's what you're wondering.

He is very knowledgeable, but he has never posted what his position is to be such an authority on OEM ATFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back