Z Max Addivitve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you need anything other than Auto-Rx ?

If I could buy a product to add to my crankcase, that would slowly and safely dissolve contaminants, not disrupt the host oil chemistry, provide for a lower coefficient of friction, improve oil film formation, boost EP capability, where would this product fall in the list of 4? Thanks Frank, don't sell yourself short. ARX is a great product. It does alot more than clean.

post by Rick 20

I'm not using it or anything. I noticed a few shows on speed (or spike) was talking about it, pumping it up fairly big and all. I had never heard of it, thats why I was asking.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
The only thing that I have witnessed is the FTC saying that Z-Max claims were unsubstantiated.

They reversed and now the FTC has says Z-Max CAN use all the claims they use.

The same product, Avblend is FAA approved, that is HUGE IMO.

BUT, the stuff is 50 bucks a pop. Screw that! The stuff better make the inside of my motor gold plated for that much mulla.

I am always leary when a company shows no MSDS on there web site.

ZMAX was made with "Linkite" a petroleum based preservative used extensively in WW11 to protect airplane engines on cargo ships open decks and subject to salt water corrosion.

They have the money to promote anything and if you were ever involved with ZMAX you earned every penney.

Does it work ?

Avblend is the aviation product.

The FBO where I used to get flight lessons at used it to virtually eliminate exhaust valve sticking on rentals (from folks who won't properly lean out, especially at our high altitudes).

Now I don't feel quite so bad about having used this stuff, on another vehicle, over 10 years ago.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this.

On edit:

I feel even better to learn that Zmax has been around a long time, and it has been taken seriously by some very credible people. http://www.fabulousracers.com/zmax.html

OK. Lord help me. I am a real sucker I guess. This still sounds right to me, and I just bought "two $40 kits for $20" right off their website.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
On piston aircraft engines running leaded fuel a mineral oil could help deal with lead deposits on valve stems. I think it was on older Continental and Lycoming engines that Avblend helped... and maybe some piston engined helicopter.

So there are times that Avblend could work, and it is FAA approved. But I stil don't think it is worth the money nor would I use it in my vehicles.

> Auto-Rx and WalMart Super Tech will out perform any dirty engine using any oil. Synthetics are great at cold flow characteristincs, enduring heat, resisting oxidation and all oils are a bit better at suspending contaminantes. Aside from some agressive addivitve packages (some with esters) that will displace some existing formations in their aggressive polar bonding, they don't do that much in the cleaning end of things. Simply stated, most oils are better at not making an engine AS dirty AS quickly as they used to. It still occurs since no oil is perfect. Given that most people are keeping their vehicles much longer than they used to, many are going to see gain from using Auto-Rx over their, now more common, extended ownership. The maintenance dose method eliminates this all together, but a treatment every 30k-50k should correct any accumulations in all but the most extreme instances. Using Auto-Rx can also result in reductions in energy costs. This was most measureable in the printing industry or where ever the device was electrically powered. The ammeter doesn't lie. I've got plenty who have experienced fuel economy increases with Auto-Rx.

FWIW in some of my service work, I tried it, found I was better off lighting my cigars with moldy dollar bills.

Well great. I did it again then maybe.
tongue.gif
The Z Max folks, claim AV Blend is their stuff, and since they are the people selling it that sounds plausible to me. Has anyone found the MSDS for Z Max? I couldn't find one.

I am thinking of using it, after completing two clean rinse cycles with ARX. I definitely will go on the ARX maintenance regimen with Valvoline Synpower 5W 30.

Oilgal ..there are tons of products that do some of what they claim. Zmax may be one of them. What they mainly get you to do is spend $50 for $5 worth of benefit.

Take Oil Extreme. Terry looked at it and tested it. It produced fuel economy gains for 3k miles. It also boosted TBN since it was 25+ TBN out of the bottle. It cost, at the time, $25+S&H (higher than the REAL S&H) ..so, you're at about $35 for an alleged "whatever 'k" treatment that gives you benefit for 3k miles in measurable savings. I think that we found out that it used chlorinated paraffins ..which is probably why it was so over based (high TBN).

That's the trick here when it comes to most of these additives that have all the wild claims. They may do "something" ...but if you're paying $50 to save $12 bucks in gas ...just what's the point??

They're nature's way of saying that you make too much money ..at least for the consumer. Now an aviation situation ...where certain economies make more sense in "avoided costs" ..who knows?

This is why I have no reservations about recommending Auto-Rx. It doesn't claim much beyond the ancillary side effects of a clean engine ..and it does, in the vast majority of incidence of use, exactly what it claims to do giving an excellent ROI to the consumer.

I've tried many additives and with Z-Max I got no noticable benefit at all. If you want to reduce friction try throughing some MMO in the crankcase for about a dollar per treatment. Once again, the absolute best thing you can do for an engine is a Autorx treatment, followed by using a high quality synthetic oil. This is better than any additive on the market.

I have always thought pretty much the same thing Gary. I only bought the ZMax, because it was $10 for what you pay $40+ for at parts stores, and the shipping was cheap. So it worked out as a good buy. I figured, it's FAA approved and commercial air fleets use it, then there must be something to it. I would only use it for additional deep cleaning, and maybe in the gas too.

I also agree that ARX is a great investment. I am in the middle of a clean phase right now in fact.

I have used MMO in the gas tank, but I would never put it in the crankcase. No way Jose. I highly doubt MMO improves lubrication, and in fact I am sure it only ruins good oil. I do agree that ARX is good stuff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back