Limited Slip Differential clutch chatter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Now that I have added the Amsoil "Slip Lock" additive, I find the problem is solved! No rumbling/scrubbing/vibration any more! Even the wife is impressed (Actually, this is her vehicle, not mine).

It's strange that a little 4 ounce bottle of fluid can fix a problem like this, but it is definitely solved!

Many thanks to all.

Amsoil website says that I need about half a quart each for front and rear diff on my 07 outlander. Four quarts on that tundra sounds a lot.

Anyways, So I bought svg 75w90 as suggested by the website. However our friendly neighborhood amsoil guy at the distribution centre suggested I do run some doughnuts and figure 8s to test the outer wheel spin and if there is noise, then add the slip lock additive.

My question is why couldnt they be bothered to add the darn thing to the svg in the first place? Is there any problem if you just add the additive without checking for loud noise? He wasnt sure.. pointed me to amsoil tech.. and I am lazy right now to call em up..

Oh and also, when is a good time to drain out these gear oils? I have 24k km and 5 long winter months of great white north are on the horizon.. I might end up with 36k km in another 5 months. So should I wait?

Some gear oils already have a dose. But, LSDs seem to be stronger now then before. They actually work!

Skip the doughnuts. If you hear the noise during normal driving(usually parking lot maneuvers or left/right turns from stop signs/redlights), add some. And, no you don't need to blindly dump the whole bottle in. Add in 1/2 ounce increments and use only as much that is needed.

The goal is to use the least needed to get the job done. I find that older higher mileage diffs, and certain domestics, do NOT need any LSD additives and are pretty quiet with most gear oils. I find that lower mileage newer units usually need more.

I recommend 30k(miles) OCIs for x-cases and 'ends. If the vehicle is worked, or the component has a history of failure, then change it out much earlier.
And, if it is a factory fill, dump it as soon as you want(remove break-in debris) and to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back