Do NOT use GM Limited Slip Additive with Mobil 1 LS 75w90

This topic keeps popping up, I didn’t think it was advisable to add the GM Limited Slip Additive to a fluid already formulated for limited slip differentials - but I emailed Mobil 1 Technical Support to 100% confirm:

IMG_0105.jpeg

Their reply:

IMG_0104.jpeg

LS pre-mixed gear lube has IME been a little light on the LS additive. You have to drive it to test it. I usually need to add one more full bottle of additive to quiet the plates, sometimes more.

Leaving a little bit of room in the fill, then doing a drive test like what Molakule described above is the only way to get the additive mix correct. You can get the plates to audibly “pop” at low speed with a tight enough turn.

The correct additive level is not going to be found with a phone call or email.

Last edited:
Reactions: STW
Is your experience with Mobil 1 LS or another premixed?

Yes, M1. I had to add slightly more than one extra additive packs to quiet the LS in my particular truck. I tend to get about 40k out of each fill.

Next time, I just used plain 80w-90 and two complete Lubegard additive packs. Same result and a little cheaper. I have a steep uphill section in my parent’ neighborhood, with a tight, low-speed 90 degree at the top. When I notice my rear-end pop on that, I know it’s time to change the fluid and add additive. ;)

ETA: so this is my experience with ONE particular vehicle with an LSD of two I have - you may require a little experimentation to find what works w/yours. I thought it useful to give a good example of what @MolaKule said above about testing/listening to get the additive mix correct.

Last edited:
I’ve used the GM LS additive or the Ford version in many Ford 9” rear ends (with the traction-loc system) in conjunction with the Mobil 1 75w-90 LS or the Mobil 1 75w-140 LS.

Never any issues with performance or wear.

Advisable ? I don’t know. Harmful ? I don’t think so.

The basic test is to do some tight figure 8’s. If the wheels chatter then you need the additive.

Add as needed then do more figure 8’s to mix it in throughly.

Z

I had an 2004 GTO that I used Mobil 1 75w140 in. The rear end in that car is a Dana unit with a Ford style clutch pack. It did take a bit of type F friction modifier to keep the noise down.

I ended up switching to Torco RGO 85w140 and using Torco's type F modifier. Being conventional it was cheaper and I changed it every 15k miles anyway. This seemed to be the favorite of the GTO crowd at that time.

Back