Zerex Asian or G-05 for Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lower 48 Walgreens carry PG(based on reports by other BITOGERs).
How many, I do not know. Ours do not. Chain stores up here often do not carry items that they do in the rest of the US.

NAPA does not have PG up here, at least they did not last summer when I changed coolant in both of my vehicles.

Thanks for the tip, Ursae_Majoris. The Walgreens here does in fact have Peak Global Lifetime, at $13.50 a gallon. That's a good price too, especially sine I think it it's 100% coolant, not premixed.

Too bad I can't edit the thread title now.

I'm currently using PGL in my Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sedona, and Zerex Asian in my Honda Pilot and Toyota Prius. The Zerex Asian is the only after-market I've seen that meets the Toyota and Honda requirement of HOAT with phosphates but no silicates, which they seem anal about. Hyundai and Kia don't really have any coolant spec listed in the manual other than "good quality, for aluminum engines" or something like that. I simply do drain and refills every 30k miles, coolant is always super clean, never had any cooling system issues at all, and they all have over 100k miles. Most of the cars take about 1 gallon to just drain the radiator, and since I do it every 30k, that should be good enough.

I buy Zerex Asian at Napa for $10/gallon. PGL 50/50 is always available at Menards for $7.99 regular price.

Originally Posted By: BrianL
Thanks for the tip, Ursae_Majoris. The Walgreens here does in fact have Peak Global Lifetime, at $13.50 a gallon. That's a good price too, especially sine I think it it's 100% coolant, not premixed.

Too bad I can't edit the thread title now.
Walgreens, Kmart and Tractor Supply here carry it, but only in the premix.
crazy.gif
I'll pass on that, no easier to get the correct coolant concentration than Type2 premix.

As HTSS_TR mentioned above, NAPA carries the full strength for ~$16.50. When one considers it's equal to two gallons of the PGL premix, not too bad. And, it much easier to get the correct system coolant concentration when doing a complete system flush. My local Napa doesn't stock it, but they can get it overnight for no extra cost. PGL full strength will be my next move in the Hondas I maintain, and likely my Tacoma too.

Actually I was wrong about Walgreens. It's premixed. I got the full strength at Napa for $16.50.

would the Asian coolant be a bad coolant to use in a vehicle that requires Mopar HOAT Coolant? What would be the downsdie to using the coolant with no silicates?

Previous fill was G05, current fill is Mopar 5year/100k mile coolant at $24 a gallon

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
would the Asian coolant be a bad coolant to use in a vehicle that requires Mopar HOAT Coolant? What would be the downsdie to using the coolant with no silicates?

Previous fill was G05, current fill is Mopar 5year/100k mile coolant at $24 a gallon
Got a Napa nearby? Zerex G-05 is about half the Mopar price per gal. for the same stuff. Color may be different, but that's not an issue. I'd stick with G-05 in that vehicle, at the Napa price.

I bought Peak Professional Lifetime concentrate (black jug) at PepBoys for $9 ea on clearance.

Is this stuff safe for Acuras / Hondas ?
21.gif

My daughter's 2003 Civic has the emerald green coolant which I assume is the factory fill. The overflow is low. What coolant would be best that is compatible with the green? I'll probably do a flush next year and would just like to add at this point.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I bought Peak Professional Lifetime concentrate (black jug) at PepBoys for $9 ea on clearance.

21.gif

Someone posted a couple years ago that Peak Professional Lifetime sold exclusively at Pep Boys is the same as Peak Global Lifetime, so that it's safe to be used in a Honda and other Asian coolant systems. I think Bill is using Peak GL in his Toyota and Subaru.

PS If you look at Peak website for antifreeze, you will not find Professional Lifetime listed, only Global Lifetime. The color of Professional Lifetime is amber and so is Global Lifetime.
http://www.peakauto.com/antifreeze.shtml

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
My daughter's 2003 Civic has the emerald green coolant which I assume is the factory fill. The overflow is low. What coolant would be best that is compatible with the green? I'll probably do a flush next year and would just like to add at this point.

If you are going to change the coolant in the Civic next year, you can add water(preferably distilled water or reversed osmosis water) to bring the level in the reservoir tank to between Min and Max when the engine is at operating temperature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

21.gif

Someone posted a couple years ago that Peak Professional Lifetime sold exclusively at Pep Boys is the same as Peak Global Lifetime, so that it's safe to be used in a Honda and other Asian coolant systems.

I remember that and I believe you are correct. Iirc someone also emailed Old World and it was confirmed. That being the case I'd have no issue using it in any Asian make/model.

As for 03 Civic with "emerald green" coolant. If that means like a blue-ish green then it could be Honda Type 2. Compatible with it? You could bite the bullet buy a gallon of Honda Type 2 premix to add, if that's what you plan to use after the flush. Otherwise as suggested, just adding some distilled water if the overflow is just low, until you do the flush.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

21.gif

Someone posted a couple years ago that Peak Professional Lifetime sold exclusively at Pep Boys is the same as Peak Global Lifetime, so that it's safe to be used in a Honda and other Asian coolant systems.

I remember that and I believe you are correct. Iirc someone also emailed Old World and it was confirmed. That being the case I'd have no issue using it in any Asian make/model.

I wish someone had mentioned that before I paid $16.50 at Napa.
frown.gif

If you find the link to that post, can you link it here?

^^^^Don't panic guy. That was quite a while back, it was on closeout at PB, and even then not everyone found it at $9, some PB's still had it at ~$20/gal, and iirc availability/stock was very limited. Likely all gone from PB now.

You did just fine with the Napa price, especially considering how difficult it is to find PGL full strength. And still a much better deal than Type2 premix at ~$20/gal. from the dealer.

LT4 Vette is one of very few people who was able to buy Peak Professional Lifetime at PepBoys for $9 each on clearance last year. My local Pep Boys want more than $20 for it, $16.50 for Peak Global Lifetime full strength at NAPA is not bad at all. As Sayjac said, PGL full strength is so difficult to find and so is Zerex G-05 full strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back