Zerex Asian or G-05 for Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I use Zerex G-05 or Zerex Asian in a 2004 Civic?

http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082010_08.pdf
This article says Asian makers recommend phosphates and no silicates (like Zerex Asian), but also says that while G-05 has silicates intead of phospates, it protects better overall, and seems to say it's OK to use since it doesn't contain a lot of silicates.(?)

http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolantchart2.jpg
This chart says G-05 is not recommended? Bad info?

Or else maybe Peak Global lifetime that's phosphate and silicate free?

All three of these are available as concentrate, correct? Some of all of these three seem to be the only choices that are good alternatives for Honda coolant, that aren't premixed.

I'd go with Zerex Asian if you have access to it..
otherwise, g-05 if you don't... just make sure you flush completely before using g-05

Zerex G-05 and Peak Global Lifetime are available as concentrated or 50/50. Zerex Asian is available in 50/50 only.

Zerex G-05 is best for many German coolants, Peak Global Lifetime can be used in most systems be it Asian, German or American.

The more I read, the more I see folks recommending sticking with OE coolant from the dealer. I'll probably stick with that in my Nissan. Is our VUE, which has a Honda V6, I'll probably go with Honda coolant and get the Dexcool completely flushed out.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
The OE coolant in the VUE is Dexcool so stick with it.

That is true. But when the engine is used in Honda vehicles, it certainly isn't. So why not go with the engine manufacturer's OE coolant?

If we have two Honda engine applications, one using Honda OEM coolant and one using Dexcool and we don't see any problems with either of them, then why repeat the same old "stick with OEM"? Which OEM?

Same thing with my Mazda. In Focus, which has identical engine to my Mazda 3, Ford uses/ed G05, but Mazda has their own coolant. Hence my Mazda is filled with G05 since I could easily and cheaply get it in concentrated form.

So, what is OEM and what does it mean...? It means pure profit for the dealer and forums full of debate. To me having a reasonable coolant change interval (CCI if you will
lol.gif
) and doing a full flush whenever different coolant formulas are used, is far more important than spending all that effort finding out which exact coolant type to use. Now, I'm talking about general passenger transportation here, heavy duty, diesel and vintage types are a different story.
Also, sticking with OEM is fine as well IF you utilize it to the full potential, i.e use it for the recommended mileage or time interval. But if you don't trust your OEM coolant to go the distance then why stick with it, any coolant will be fine, with proper flush, for a 2 year CCI.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Zerex G-05 and Peak Global Lifetime are available as concentrated or 50/50. Zerex Asian is available in 50/50 only.

Zerex G-05 is best for many German coolants, Peak Global Lifetime can be used in most systems be it Asian, German or American.

I probably would get Zerex Asian, but 50/50 is a deal killer (unless half price), especially since I want to flush it all out, since it's the OE fill at 68,000 miles and 7-8 years old.

So is Peak Global Lifetime the next best thing? Is it the closest to the Asian coolants, just without Phosphates?
Just curious, is there any other coolant like it?
Does Napa still sell it? It's not on their website.

Thanks for starting this thread. FWIW, O'Reilly Auto lists various Peak products in Nashville TN (I guessed a city in TN; sorry if I'm way off). I couldn't tell if the global brand was there or not.

I just bought some Zerex Asian vehicle for a 2000 626 Mazda; I wasn't happy about buying pre-mix either but decided to use anyway; with such small capacities, the incremental dollars didn't make the cut in my worry level. Interesting that O'Reilly's price is the same in Nashville as on the left coast. My line is drawn at going to a dealer unless a last resort. Good luck.

Thanks, ag_ghost. O'Reilly does list a lot of antifreeze on their website, but not PGL. Is Final Charge Global the same thing?http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AFZ3/FINALCHARGE.oap
It's OAT, Phosphate and Silicate free.

Else, anywhere else I could check for PGL?

FYI, O'Reilly also lists the Beck Arnley Blue and Pink (even though BA's website did not), Zerex Asian, and G-05, all 50/50.

heavy duty final charge is no way near the same as peak global!! another thing and the most important chemical final chg does not have in it is nitrites!! it is the rolls royce of ant freeze in my opinion and other more educated individuals taught me...protects your engine far better then anthing out there!! actually, it is an overkill for our vehicles.i love overkill!!...what i have experienced and learned.

Considering no replies, does that mean there's no where to buy Peak Global Lifetime without mail ordering it?

Originally Posted By: BrianL
Considering no replies, does that mean there's no where to buy Peak Global Lifetime without mail ordering it?

NAPA carries Peak Global Lifetime concentrate part number PEA-00407 for $16.49 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: BrianL

NAPA carries Peak Global Lifetime concentrate part number PEA-00407 for $16.49 a gallon.

Some Walymarts carry it.

If your Walmart has it then it should be less than $16 a gallon concentrate. The problem is most Walmarts don't have it, my 3 local Walmarts have only Prestone and/or Peak All-Makes/All-Models. Pep Boys used to have it and Zerex G05 but not anymore.

The only reliable sources of Peak Global Lifetime are NAPA stores.

I know the Walmarts here in middle TN don't have it. I'll check Walgreens, then Napa. Do many Walgreens have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back