ZDDP in different oils(SM, SL, SJ...)

tuckman

Where would i find it for all of the S-ratings and C-ratings. i guess i should have said that seeing this product made me wonder what they all were.

tuckman

So nobody knows where I can find these numbers? There has to be a webpage/website that says what the max/min additive levels for the certain classifications of oils! I am not looking for what oils have what in them but more what is allowable in the certain ratings over the years.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
all my engines have flat tappets, so I'm at least a bit curious...
I have a good amount of Muscle cars and 1200 zinc has always been the minimum amount of zinc recommended for an oil. If the engine is already broken in, I would think anything close to that number would be fine. I have used a lot of different oils and in my original survivors with low miles, I use Mobil 1 high mileage 10W40(1000 zinc). It really seems to work well in most of my engines. I do sometimes add a pint of Schaeffers #132 additive to it because I know guys that own expensive cars(Shelby's, etc) and they add it and really like it.

Last edited:
There is a chart at the V-Strom motorcycle site, but I don't know if you can access it without being a member of that forum. Basically, it shows: API Designation Year Z% P% SH 1996 0.130 0.120 SJ 2001 0.110 0.100 SL 2004 " " SM 2005 0.087 0.080 The percentages = PPM, ie.., 0.130 = 1300 PPM.