ZDDP in different oils(SM, SL, SJ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across an add for http://www.cam-shield.com (I know its not a BITOG sponsor) and now I have some questions.

1) is this stuff worth the bottle it's put in?

2) What are the max allowable ZDDP levels in SM, SL, SG and in the HDEO's (or a place to find these levels?)

Where would i find it for all of the S-ratings and C-ratings.

i guess i should have said that seeing this product made me wonder what they all were.

So nobody knows where I can find these numbers?

There has to be a webpage/website that says what the max/min additive levels for the certain classifications of oils!
I am not looking for what oils have what in them but more what is allowable in the certain ratings over the years.

Schaeffers has high levels of ZDDP in their 7000 and 9000 oils even though they are SM rated.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
all my engines have flat tappets, so I'm at least a bit curious...

I have a good amount of Muscle cars and 1200 zinc has always been the minimum amount of zinc recommended for an oil. If the engine is already broken in, I would think anything close to that number would be fine. I have used a lot of different oils and in my original survivors with low miles, I use Mobil 1 high mileage 10W40(1000 zinc). It really seems to work well in most of my engines. I do sometimes add a pint of Schaeffers #132 additive to it because I know guys that own expensive cars(Shelby's, etc) and they add it and really like it.

Last edited:
There is a chart at the V-Strom motorcycle site, but I don't know if you can access it without being a member of that forum.

Basically, it shows:
API Designation Year Z% P%
SH 1996 0.130 0.120
SJ 2001 0.110 0.100
SL 2004 " "
SM 2005 0.087 0.080

The percentages = PPM, ie.., 0.130 = 1300 PPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back