You're About To Drive Cross Country...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I do remember when there was that NASA astronaut driving from Houston to Orlando looking to kidnap the girlfriend of the guy she was sleeping with. A lot of the stories noted that she saved time by wearing NASA issued "undergarments", although it didn't really seem much different than Depends.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2007/02/08/the-astronaut-and-the-diaper-a-sordid-tale/

I guess it's called the "Maximum Absorbancy Garment" and is on display at the Smithsonian:

33.jpg

they are actually quite different from depends. Depends are for accidental "spills" shall we say..
MAG's are what allow you to just go in your pants and not get wet at all. looks like each one can absorb up to 2 liters of fluids, and wick them away from the skin.
they actually have a limited supply of them,as the company that made them went out of business.
NASA Bought 3200 of them in the 90's, and still has "about 1/3 of the supply left".
Shuttle astronauts were each issued 3 per mission.
One each for Launch, an EVA,and Landing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Absorbency_Garment
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-spacediaper9feb10-story.html

Every year around Christmas I drive from Tennessee to Texas and back to visit my mom and brother. Have you thought about adding satellite radio to the vehicle? Long stretches with nothing but preachers and Bro Country music on the radio. Maybe some good audio books might be a good idea, too.

Just give your tires, cooling system, battery, alternator and serpentine belt a good inspection before you. Those are the things most likely to disable your car along the way if they fail.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I do remember when there was that NASA astronaut driving from Houston to Orlando looking to kidnap the girlfriend of the guy she was sleeping with. A lot of the stories noted that she saved time by wearing NASA issued "undergarments", although it didn't really seem much different than Depends.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2007/02/08/the-astronaut-and-the-diaper-a-sordid-tale/

I guess it's called the "Maximum Absorbancy Garment" and is on display at the Smithsonian:

33.jpg

they are actually quite different from depends. Depends are for accidental "spills" shall we say..
MAG's are what allow you to just go in your pants and not get wet at all. looks like each one can absorb up to 2 liters of fluids, and wick them away from the skin.
they actually have a limited supply of them,as the company that made them went out of business.
NASA Bought 3200 of them in the 90's, and still has "about 1/3 of the supply left".
Shuttle astronauts were each issued 3 per mission.
One each for Launch, an EVA,and Landing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Absorbency_Garment
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-spacediaper9feb10-story.html

Other than NASA's particular oversized shape, I don't believe there's anything particularly unique about an adult diaper though. The materials (especially the liquid locking gel) have been around for decades. If NASA asked, I think Kimberly-Clark or P&G would gladly make a similar product. But yeah - those weren't exactly designed to be hidden under normal clothes. Or they could have gone like Alan Shepard on his first launch where he was cleared to pee right into his suit. Apparently it took out a bunch of the medical sensors until it finally pooled in his back. I think their biggest worry was that it might cause a spark in their oxygen rich environment.

I remember as a kid we got a visit from a NASA scientist in my elementary school. I think it was maybe 1981 around the time of the first Space Shuttle flight. Of course the big question kids always ask is how you go to the bathroom in space, on the moon, etc. The scientist described it as astronauts wearing "big Pampers" when they didn't have access to the suction waste systems.

When my kid outgrew various diapers (size got too small) and then training pants, I actually repurposed them for doing oil changes. I'd just wrap them around the oil filter since they'd normally spill onto the axle on my wife's car.

Originally Posted By: Globalksp
So, you get itchy feet and want to hop in the car and drive cross country from Virginia to California because, why not!?

You drive a 2007 Honda Fit, 5 Speed with 113,000 on the clock and multiple, A+ UOA's. Within the past year, you've changed the plugs, coils, and you'll put on new brakes before you leave and your roadside service is active. The car hasn't given you any trouble and the tires have 'enough' tread on them to make the round trip.

What else would you do in preparation? What spare parts would you pack (considering you're driving during a weekend) considering you can repair most things yourself?

Thanks!

I did it twice, first time moving from coast to coast, second time I flew to VA, bought used car under warranty, and drove it to CA.
Make sure all fluids are OK, oil is changed.
I make sure I have gallon of windshield washer fluid. If you are ding trip soon, use windshield washer fluid that has freezing point at -20f as nights are still cold and take into consideration wind chill around nozzles.
One bottle of oil, I would buy 24-36 pack of water bottles. Blanket, first aid, jacket, flash light, mechanic gloves. Generally things you should have all the time except blanket and jacket just in case if you need to spend a night in a car. Water is crucial. The US is very rural and once you get out of major urban centers toward middle of the country it is good to have water in the car.

Last edited:
i did the reverse when returning from an assignment to korea in september 2005. flew to pdx and bought a 26k mile 2004 toyota corolla from hertz. drove it across, up and down, the u.s. to east coast in 3 weeks. i saw that hertz had recently serviced it, so i simply headed out and did 30k service in indiana. i did watch fluids and tire pressure along the way, had a multitool, seat cushion, flashlights, batteries, water, wire coat hangars, duct tape, first aid kit, crow bar, travel mug, coffee fixings, hot water pot.

the only thing that i lacked was more time, lots more to see. to a new england native, western, flyover, big sky country is breathtakingly awesome. that faithful corolla accompanied me to canada and was sold last year at 103k miles. the only pieces it ever needed were whatever 10-30w conventional oil that the dealer, wallyworld or indy mechanic used, filters, brake job, and two sets of wallyworld gy viva tires, as part of its regularly scheduled 5k miles maintenance.

Honda Fit’s weak spots are weak A/C that stop working in extreme heat or after 1.5 in regular heat amd the tiny gas tank that also requires frequent stops. If it doesn't have fog lights, then all of your lightings are have 2 single pioints of failure as the parking lights are useless. And the battery is a joke as Mazda 3 has a full size battery and the Fit’s battery is smaller thsn those of barbie car.

I would have a nkce jumper cable and a battery box from Costco, plenty of water snd juice and snacks. Then just make sure you don’t go more than 200 miles without refueling because you’ll regret it; that 10.6 is actually 9.2 and you’d be sucing fume due to the design that doesnt favor incline when low. One positive note is that it can actually take over 11 gallons due to the extended volume of the nozzle. But I wouldn’t do it until you know how to avoid spilling.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Make sure the cooling system is in good shape. That will be your weakest link in a 10 yr old car. The radiator and t-stat are most suspect.

I'll add replace the upper radiator hose and give it fresh antifreeze. I've found that with every car I have ever owned the upper hose wears through first.

Change the serpentine belt and any pulleys that use a stand alone bearing. Put the old ones in a big zip lock bag somewhere in the car.

Dont forget a couple rolls of toilet paper. Dated a girl who went to Ithaca College in Ithaca NY years and years ago. More than once I had the unexpected pull over and do a number 2 situation arise. That was a 6 hour trip one way for me when I would visit her.

Dale

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Make sure the spare is full of air, change out the pcv valve with an oem unit esp if the original is still in there.

Check fluid levels often during the trip. Wax the front end, get some Poorboys Bug Squash which also removes road tar. Available on Autogeek.com

Good call in the PCV valve, though seems like it could be a pain to swap out quickly (I'm leaving Sunday!).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Drive to the closest airport and just buy a ticket for a direct flight. My sciatic nerve pain just starts twitching at the thought of a long car ride like that. My parents are in their 80s and drive back and forth between southern Arizona dna Cincinnati several times a year...1800 miles in 3 days. I can'e even imagine.

Yours and mine both! The first gen Fits have TERRIBLE lumbar support.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Probably nothing, unless there's some common part that fails and stops the car? Is your battery very old? We had an alternator go out once and the battery was 8 years old, so it was probably the cause.
I'd just have a look underneath to make sure nothing important is leaking, check the fluids up top, and go enjoy the trip!
Also schedule some time for detours along the way, we've driven to the west coast a couple times and my only regret was not having enough time to see more things.

You get it!

I understand that the car will be running consistently for three days, but it is a machine. It is designed to do that. I've always been of the mindset that if you're driving 5,000 miles in 3 days vs 3 months, whatever will have broken in those 5,000 miles will break. Now, should you be towing or constantly going through Colorado mountain passes, different story.

And yes to detours. It's the whole purpose of the trip. I could have easily flown, but, it's Spring. The country below the planes over head will be gorgeous.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I can see the allure of driving cross country but I would rent a car and fly back. That return trip may seem SUPER long.

It can be. If you take the same route.

I've driven cross country 5 times in my 36 years and spent 3 of those years working on the railroad, driving (both on road and on track) back and forth through every state west of the Mississippi. Needless to say, those Volkswagen commercials of a few years back really speak to me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Use an inferred temperature gauge to check the temperature on the brakes right after you have driven it for several miles.

Sometimes when you put new brake-shoes on the pistons on the caliper or wheel cylinder has rust in an area that was not being used and is now being used, and this causes the caliper or wheel cylinder to not completely release when the brake is not being applied. This causes the brakes to rub more than normal and causes the brakes to get too hot. This is tricky to catch because it can rub enough to create the excess heat, but not hard enough to cause the wheel to not turn. This can cause the brakes to over-heat and if they get hot enough with the speeds seen when driving on a highway, the brake fluid can get hot enough to boil and create gas in the brake system that makes the brakes not work.

EXCELLENT Tip. Thank you.

Brakes seem to have some life left on them. Waiting on the refresh until I return.

Probably nothing, unless there's some common part that fails and stops the car? Is your battery very old? We had an alternator go out once and the battery was 8 years old, so it was probably the cause.
I'd just have a look underneath to make sure nothing important is leaking, check the fluids up top, and go enjoy the trip!
Also schedule some time for detours along the way, we've driven to the west coast a couple times and my only regret was not having enough time to see more things.

You get it!

I understand that the car will be running consistently for three days, but it is a machine. It is designed to do that. I've always been of the mindset that if you're driving 5,000 miles in 3 days vs 3 months, whatever will have broken in those 5,000 miles will break. Now, should you be towing or constantly going through Colorado mountain passes, different story.

And yes to detours. It's the whole purpose of the trip. I could have easily flown, but, it's Spring. The country below the planes over head will be gorgeous.

Good. That means you are not a newbie and you know to look for oozy/sleepy time.

Have some type of pillow for lumbar support.
fold your back seats.
trow something (moving blanket) on top of load to keep from hot sun.
do you have tint? if not, get to a kids store and they have sticky screens for your back windows. just to make the ac work less...

I am going to drive cross country and back next month in the Fiesta, just about 2300 miles round trip, with a crazy cattle dog in the back seat. I think I'll make sure to bring some bottled water, a dog bowl, and some cash money. I already keep an air pump, jumper cables, and first aid kit in the car. What else do I need?

edit: dog poop bags! ugh.

Last edited:

You get it!

One of our trips was in a 1994 Civic Coupe with a 102hp! It would still do 90 mph pretty easily though in Montana, but we mostly did 65mph on the interstates. We went over some high passes that really had the car wheezing too, but I certainly enjoyed driving that car and the trip, just needed a couple extra weeks!
I think an "uncomfortable" car is almost better anyways, you get out to see more stuff even if its just the local flora and fauna at the side of the road for your pee beaks. Trucking 6 hrs at a time at 80mph lets you miss alot of stuff.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I am going to drive cross country and back next month in the Fiesta, just about 2300 miles round trip, with a crazy cattle dog in the back seat. I think I'll make sure to bring some bottled water, a dog bowl, and some cash money. I already keep an air pump, jumper cables, and first aid kit in the car. What else do I need?

edit: dog poop bags! ugh.

couple moving blankets and couple plastic sheets from painting department.
In case of stress accidents or if you have to brake suddenly and the water bowl spills...
and pooch's favorite music. Just so you know who's the master :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back