You're About To Drive Cross Country...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One really good, high quality flashlight.

Other than that I would change oil to a 10w-30 for all that sustained high speed driving with a small engine with 100K + miles.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Other than that I would change oil to a 10w-30 for all that sustained high speed driving with a small engine with 100K + miles.

You mean straight 30...

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Drive to the closest airport and just buy a ticket for a direct flight. My sciatic nerve pain just starts twitching at the thought of a long car ride like that. My parents are in their 80s and drive back and forth between southern Arizona dna Cincinnati several times a year...1800 miles in 3 days. I can'e even imagine.

You mean like 1500 miles in 2 days?
laugh.gif
(give or take a few miles) Easton, PA - Port Neches, TX and back after a week stay.

I find driving easy, getting tired sucks but easy.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

You mean straight 30...

You are right. I would run SAE 30. Too many people who don't understand why it would be a great choice would scoff and I wanted to avoid that. Most SAE 30's are pretty close to a 10w-30 any how.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Originally Posted By: Globalksp

Thanks for this. Curious to learn more about that octane "issue". Being the car it is, I always fill up with "regular" which I believe is 87 octane here in VA.

"Regular" is normally 87, but up at high altitude, I saw a few stations with 85 as "regular", 87 as "plus", and 91 as "premium".

At high altitude, air is thinner. This lowers peak combustion chamber pressures, so knock or pre-ignition doesn't happen as easily. Apparently it is cheaper to produce lower octane fuels, which can be sold at those high altitude places (for more profit $$$).

A naturally aspirated engine will do just fine running 85 instead of 87 at high altitude, but may encounter problems if it descends to lower altitude and thicker air without refueling to boost the average octane of the tank back up. Cruising will be fine, but accelerating to pass or enter the highway will be where the problems arise. Best case is poor power and fuel economy as the ECU tries to compensate, worst case could be damage if the engine is forced to run under sustained heavy loads with inadequate octane.

A turbocharged engine is a different animal, since the turbo system will compensate for thinner air and will maintain relatively high chamber pressure (and therefore power). Use of turbochargers and variable superchargers for altitude compensation as well as power boosting dates all the way back to aircraft in WW2. Turbocharged and high performance vehicles should always use the octane rating recommended by the manufacturer regardless of altitude since the engines are under more stress and operate closer to the point of pre-ignition by nature.

You should be fine with either 85 or 87 if you need to refuel in the mountains, but in your position I personally would pay a few bucks more and get 87. I forked over for the 91 when I did my cross country trip, since my car does take a power and economy hit on 87.

Thanks for this!

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

The trip went well, nothing broke, the Honda Fit wouldn't be my first choice of cross country cruiser, but it did just fine. Was able to sleep in it one night along I40 in Arizona. The winds were blowing so strong, the little Fit rocked me to sleep as if I were sleeping on the water instead of in the desert.

In total, I drove 5,927.4 miles. Stuck with my standard Pennzoil HM 5W-20 and the Fit's oil minder is at 40%.

Fuel economy (87 the whole way) averaged out to 36.82 MPG including all the interstate driving, commuting through LA traffic, some sightseeing on the way back, etc. Best MPG was 46.25 while driving east across the Texas panhandle with a killer tail wind. Worst (31.98 MPG) was had commuting around LA.

In two days I leave for what now seems like an easy jaunt of 14 hours down to New Orleans.

Hope you all find yourselves on adventures soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back