Your Suggestions For Proper UAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I am looking to have my first ever Used Oil Analysis performed. I will first explain my reasoning behind the choice for Used Oil Analysis, and then I will explain my procedure to see if you think it is correct or could be done better.

Our team races a Lightning Sprint (www.nlsprints.com). We use Suzuki GSX-R 750 motorcycle engines which run between 12,000 and 14,300 RPM depending on where the car is on the track at any given time. Most races are about 15 laps at about a 20 second lap time, so we count on pretty much full throttle operation for about 5 minutes at a time, usually twice per night. Obviously, we think these cars are going to be very tough on engine oil, among other things.

We use genuine Suzuki oil filters and either Mobil 1 4T Racing or the Amsoil Motorcycle Formula, both in the 10W-40 variety. Up to this writing, we have been changing the oil after every night of racing. However, we think that there is a chance that we might be changing out perfectly good oil.

So, the plan was to first get a sample of the virgin oil, and keep it to the side for the moment. Then, we are going to run our oil two nights instead of just one night. Following the second night, we are going to get a sample of the used oil. Then, we were going to send both the virgin and the used oil in to Terry Dyson for analysis. This will give Terry a "before" (virgin), and "after" (used oil two nights).

We just want to see if this oil will stand up for two nights or longer. A typical 3 quart change with filter can be as much as fifty bucks, so if we are in fact pouring perfectly good oil down the drain we want to know about it.

Any criticism of our methods? Would you do it any different? Are we wasting time and effort?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds good, but I think it'd be useful to have a sample after one night and after two nights just to be able to compare if the second night is actually making it much worse than the first night.

Personally, I would think you could go more than 2 nights, so maybe get another sample analyzed after 4 nights to compare.

As for VOA - did you check our VOA section? Maybe someone already analyzed these oils and posted results so that you wouldn't need to have it re-tested.

What about sampling but not draining? run 2 nights then sample and observe the results. If the results indicate end of oil life then drain, otherwise run again and sample again until end of oil life.

Your idea is very good - those engines are, historically, not that hard on oil, so you may be wasting oil/money.
thumbsup2.gif

Your plan is sound. I also like the Fumoto idea form PT1.

The down side is that you'll not get the info back in a quick turn around. You'll end up changing it most likely the following weekend, well before you get the results. However, as an interim plan, that's perfectly fine. I'd sample virgin, 1st night, 2nd night and send them off. Once you get them back, you can make some determination as to how much further you can go.

It might even be interesting to sample each weekend with the same operating pattern (virgin, 1st, 2nd) and keep sending off samples in a round-robin methodology, until you really establish some trends and ranges.

I realize that sounds expensive, but racing is a hobby, and it's just another cost you write off as part of the fun. Your real gain will be knowledge. Only after you glean the information, might you also save some money by extending your OCI. You'll have to pay up front to save at the back end, if there is any savings at all ...

But it's all good if you have fun, and no one gets hurt.

I would say you could run longer. For such a short OCI I believe an HDEO will serve you well, for your application I'd recommened a synthetic HDEO.

There should be NO resaon you are depleting your additives in this amount of time, the only reason I would see the need for a short OCI with that engine would be due to sheering out of grade. And that would be a big "IF" if that is happening.

Last edited:
One thing to worry about with motorcycle engines in cars is the oil getting away from the pickup under cornering. They are not made to take sideways g-forces and may loose oil pressure in the turns, some don't like long wheelies either. YMMV

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The down side is that you'll not get the info back in a quick turn around. You'll end up changing it most likely the following weekend, well before you get the results. However, as an interim plan, that's perfectly fine.

the three times I have done a UOA, I send it in and I have gotten the results about 3 days later emailed to me. Pretty quick turnaround for me. YMMV!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back