Your most difficult junkyard pick?

I'm sure mine wasn't all that hard in the grand scheme of things, so think about some of yours and which was the worse.

In this case I need a muffler for the 03 Sequoia as well as at least one of the pipes to the cat which isn't available separately, to get it through a Virginia inspection. Aftermarket mufflers are around $250 and the cats even more so I was determined to find something on the cheap. Found another Sequoia at the junkyard that still had the wheels and tires on it just so I had a fighting chance. Most of them didn't and were sitting on the ground. This one did have 3 flat tires but luckily the one near the muffler was good.

If you're ever tried to pull under body parts from a car you know what a pain it can be. Thank goodness the two cats were already cut off and I only had to make one cut behind the muffler with a chain strap type cutter. Not fun with your face inches from the floor and your arm stretched out working that thing. The half a dozen rubber hangers were no picnic either but after an hour and a half I was able to get it out. Thing must weigh over 50 pounds. Paid $31.25 for everything but I have a feeling I'm going to pay for it even more next morning.

View attachment 95907
What car are you driving here? Looks like an 80's or early 90's.

I actually AVOIDED a yard, based on Google reviews insisting they were scammers. Listing everything as low mileage, asking for payment in advance, and not coming through. Again, exactly like an experience with a mobile in Ohio. Asks for payment. Disappears. So I avoided the yard.

Ended up using EBay, that's a great resource that avoids going to the yard.....

Most difficult pick/locating it, had to travel.. was a transmission for a Buick Reatta.

Funny, a Reatta transmission shouldn't have been any more difficult to find than any other 4T60, unless it was the pre-electronic version AKA the 440-T4. Those are tough.

I've had a few doozies:
1. 8.8" disc brake rear-end out of a 5.0L Ford Explorer (my buddy and I had super fun getting this out)
2. Front springs off a fox body Mustang. Anybody familiar with how these go in know that if you don't have a spring compressor, this is a nightmare (it was a nightmare)
3. Motor mount mounting plates out of a V8 F-250 to convert my I6 into a V8. Had to unbolt the engine and jack it up, which is super fun on non-solid ground in a yard

Also funny, my story is about the same: my worst JY pull was a rear end for my '03 Marauder. I needed it fast, and I knew I'd never find another factory 3.73 LS unit so I settled for a 3.27 LS out of a PI. That's not the most fun thing to pick and drag through a muddy yard.

Funny, a Reatta transmission shouldn't have been any more difficult to find than any other 4T60, unless it was the pre-electronic version AKA the 440-T4. Those are tough.

Also funny, my story is about the same: my worst JY pull was a rear end for my '03 Marauder. I needed it fast, and I knew I'd never find another factory 3.73 LS unit so I settled for a 3.27 LS out of a PI. That's not the most fun thing to pick and drag through a muddy yard.
Apparently the differences between the early run and the late run were more than my mechanic thought because we had to do a lot of searching and a lot of swapping. I also had to travel 250 miles for one that was a four model year difference and was worried when the mechanic looked at it and thought it wasn't going to fit.

This is some time ago so I'm doing the best I can to remember.

Also.. TH-350C? But again I do not exactly recall. Riviera??

Apparently the differences between the early run and the late run were more than my mechanic thought because we had to do a lot of searching and a lot of swapping. I also had to travel 250 miles for one that was a four model year difference and was worried when the mechanic looked at it and thought it wasn't going to fit.

This is some time ago so I'm doing the best I can to remember.

Also.. TH-350C? But again I do not exactly recall. Riviera??

That makes sense, I had to replace a 4T80-E in one of my Seville's, and the used 2000 unit needed several modifications to work with the 1994 I installed it in.

It wouldn't have been a TH-350, that's a RWD transmission. The only options for a Reatta would have been a 4T60/440T4 or a 4T60-E.

Over the weekend, not far from home I found one in the junkyard that had a good subframe with almost no rust , engine and transmission were out, problem is the car was sitting on the ground, no tires. I had to crawl under and start digging out the dirt, enough to get a wrench in there to undo the bolts holding it to the car. I dug and dug and dug, using every screwdriver and tire iron I could find. Got the subframe out...
So this same Saturn junkyard I visited... man was I in heaven... for a subframe. I brought my dinky little MVP jack, my breaker bar, none of the bolts were turning, I thought I was done for.

Then a yard employee found me and said, you want a subframe, I have one over here from a car we pulled the motor out of! I hadn't surveyed the entire yard, LOL.

When I lived in NorCal in the 1990's, Pick-and-Pull was a regular stop for us high schoolers to keep our $250 cars running..

A friend of mine had a VW Golf and needed an exhaust manifold. We found one and pulled it in about an hours' time. I wouldn't say it was difficult, but it sure was blazing hot that day. (Not to mention risky crawling under a car with no wheels on it, balanced on steel rims..) Not a risk I'd take today, LOL.

Back